I Had Smart Lipo a Year and a Half Ago. I Was 48 when I Had the Surgery. I Had my Upper and Lower Abdomen Done?

I still have hard lumbs around my naval. My stomach looks very deformed. The bumps are even visable in cloths. Is there any procedure that can help get rid of the lumps?

Pictures or an exam would be helpful to determine if revision could result in improvement.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Smart Lipo producing "lumps" & "bumps"

Hello 'Goose'- Let me first say that I am not a fan of smart lipo as I have seen too many secondary consults with irregularities like the ones I assume you are describing. It may be that only a very small percentage of smart lipo patients who get these issues, similar to other forms of lipo that can also result in lumps and bumps. So, if these do occur with whatever liposuction method one uses, the cure is often not simple. Solutions can be in the form of endermologie, secondary lipo of fattier areas with release and fat transfer to depressed areas, or a tummy tuck which can release most areas of scar retraction and redrape the skin more smoothly.  Obviously, photos would help focus a solution for you in particular. Good luck. 

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Non-invasive treatments may help you

Goose,

I agree that a follow-up exam is the best next step.  If the lumps are due to lymphatic congestion, then shiatsu or manual lymphatic drainage massage may help.  Other options to consider are non-invasive energy devices such as Velashape or Liposonix.  If the lumps are due to residual fat pockets, then a touch-up may be the best solution.

Good luck!

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

A touch up may be needed

Please follow up with your surgeon and make sure you are healing correctly. You may need a touch up procedure to correct any areas that are not completely smoothed out.

Bruce E. Katz, MD