Will Smart Lipo Tighten my Inner Thighs Enough to Avoid Thigh Lift? (photo)

I am 59, 5'5" and weigh 148 lbs. I have always had saggy inner thighs and I hate them. 25 yrs ago I had a groin lift, but that is no longer holding. I know that a vertical lift would give me the best tightening but I really don't want a long scar if I can avoid it. I'm hoping smart lipo will tighten enough and just the reduction of fat in my legs will help the overall appearance. Please let me know what you think. Thanking you in advance for your replies. Deb

Will Smart Lipo Tighten my Inner Thighs Enough to Avoid Thigh Lift?

A medial thigh lift will give you the superior result.   The smart lipo will possibly make the area worse.    Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures each year.  Look at website before and after photos and decide which surgeon can give the results you desire. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

After having done a few thousand SmartLipos and teaching Smart Lipo I do not think you are a good candidate. You might do the operation but the realistic expectation is 50/50 as for you being happy. 

Thigh Lift Needed With Liposuction

One thing that is certain is if you have inner thigh liposuction, regardless of the liposuction method, you had better plan on having an inner thigh lift. Your inner thigh skin has little elasticity and will not tighten up no matter how the fat is removed. Once the fat is removed the skin will have further sag so a simultaneous inner thigh lift with the liposuction is the assured method to tighten the skin.

Thigh Contour Options

Unfortunately, only small amounts of skin tightening can be anticipated with any type of liposuction. Since your pictures suggest moderately severe medial thigh skin sag, medial thigh lift surgery is a better option for you.

This procedure would remove excess skin in multiple dimensions and significantly improve contour. In contrast, liposuction has the potential to actually worsen skin sag.

Under these circumstances, it's appropriate to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area. This surgeon should be able to perform a physical examination and formulate an appropriate treatment plan to address your concerns.

Dear Deb,

Thank you for your post.  The short answer is no.  You will have increased deflation and there will not be skin tightening as you desire from the smart lipo.  I would suggest a thigh lift if you are seeking smoother skin.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Need an inner thigh lift, not SmartLipo

SmartLipo is not a reliable method for skin tightening.  An inner thigh lift is your best option for improvement of this area.  I have seen some tightening of the skin with SmartLipo but I would never rely on it for this purpose.  

Liposuction

hello DebRN. Smart lipo will not tighten your thigh skin. Lipo of any sort may cause the skin to sag more. Your logical options are liposuction and medial thigh lift either groin incision or vertical incision