Can I have Smart Lipo before and after pregnancy?

Hello! I had smart lipo when I was 19 years old before my pregnancy. I was very happy with the results! Now 4 years later I'm pregnant and gained over 35 pounds. I'm due next month. Can I have lipo again after a pregnancy ? Is there a long wait period ? I don't plain on breast feeding. Will I have scar tissue from my previous lipo?

More Smart Lipo

You can repeat Smart Lipo. I would wait until you have lost all of your baby weight and your shape has stabilized. This could take several months. And, after two babies you might not get the same skin tightening effect you had at 19 .

Repeat SmartLipo after pregnancy

Wait until you body has stabilized after delivery, at least 3 months or more.  If you changed your mind and breast fed, wait until a few months after breast feeding stops to consider any body contouring procedure.  Even though it was 4 years ago, your previous SmarLipo will have left some scar tissue, and in my experience it helps to combine the SmartLipo with some conventional liposuction to get through any densely scarred areas.

Smartlipo after pregnancy

First of all, good luck with the final days of your pregnancy.  As for Smmartlipo, you can definitely have Smartlipo after your pregnancy but not right away.  I would recommend that you try to shed the weight that you gained from your pregnancy before considering any body contouring surgery. That might take 3-6 months in general.  Lastly, there will be some scar tissue from your previous liposuction but that is usually not a problem.  Of course, you will need an examination by a plastic surgeon before any decisions are made.

Theodore Diktaban, MD, FACS

I would wait 3 to 6 months after delivery before considering surgery.  An exam at that time would be necessary to make a determination.

Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent. Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of liposuction and liposuction revision procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Can I have Smartlipo?

After having Smartlipo it is best to wait at least 6 months to see your final results. At this point your surgeon can determine if having another procedure done is best for you. My advice is to be patient during your healing process and follow up with your surgeon after 6 months.

Bruce E. Katz, MD