I got a small silicone chin implant inserted under the chin about a year and a half ago. can I remove it without much damage?

I don't like the feeling of the implant and I don't feel is really giving me a significant enough change to justify it being in there. I don't want another implant and I would prefer a more "natural" alternative like fat injections if possible. Also, I have noticed my chin now looks more rounded from the front as opposed to the more longer pointed chin I once had. will the scar tissue add more volume than pre implant? Thank You for any answers and advice.

Chin implants

Removing a chin implant is not without risks. For each action there is a reaction . And in the human body, there are un predictable factors, beyond your control and beyond the plastic surgeon's control.
how ever a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, (American Board of Plastic Surgery) surgeon can give you the best care. no warranties or guarantees. You may not want to hear that . But that is a fact.

Silicone chin implant- benefits

Hi Elizabeth,
if you are looking to remove a silicone implant, it's actually one of the best types to remove. 

Since it doesnt tissue integrate (like medpore or even goretex) it can be removed with little to no damage to the surrounding tissue. Your chin should return to the pre-implant shape, more or less, within a couple of months. One experience may be if you had a dimple in your chin. That may not return to the same degree as before the implant. 

All the best

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant removal

The short answer to your question is that it is a very straightforward procedure to remove a solid chin implant and it is typically done under local anesthesia. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Personally, I have not seen fat to be an effective replacement for a chin implant. There are other more anatomic options if you elect to go that route.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant removal

Removing a chin implant is usually very straightforward procedure under local anesthesia.  Make sure you are removing it for the right reasons. 

Chin implant removal

removing silicone implants is typically fairly easy.  Unless the patient feels it is absolutely necessary it is not very often that we have to sedate the patient to remove it.  Removing it under local anesthesia is almost never a problem unless it was fixated into place using a screw.

Fat transfer or filler R fairly good alternatives to chin implant placement.  We'll certainly want to wait approximately 1-2 months at a minimum before replacing the chin implant with fat or filler.  I don't expect the scar tissue to add more volume than pre-implant.  It should look largely like-year-old chin unless there was significant bony erosion which he probably would not know about unless you got a pre-removal x-ray.  a little bit of bone erosion is not a problem by the way, it is very common.

Chase Lay, MD
Double board-certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

I got a small silicone chin implant inserted under the chin about a year and a half ago. can I remove it without much damage

Typically, a silicone chin implant is easy to remove with minimal problems.  If the implant was placed through an incision under your chin, they will most likely use the same incision.  If the implant isn't giving you enough change, it is probably a small implant, therefore should not be an issue to remove!  Surgeons Certified in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery are also able to remove this implant under local anesthesia. 

Options to remove a chin implant

Chin implants are easier to remove than they are to place. Silastic implants can be removed easily in the office under local anesthesia. Scar tissue formation is usually negligible. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant removal

Silicone chin implants are generally very easy to remove with very little recovery or change.  Many people worry about excess skin after but that is generally a problem.

Joe Niamtu, III DMD
Cosmetic Facial Surgery
Richmond, Virginia

Joseph Niamtu, III, DMD
Richmond Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon