What is Best for a Small Case of Hollow Cheeks?

I am a 26 yr old male who is considering some form a cheek filler. My cheeks are slowly starting to look sunken in right underneath my cheek bone. The small depression starts near the labial fold and underneath the cheek bone. I have been reading a lot about Radiesse and what it has done and has not done for others. What would you guys suggest as the best option? Thank you-

Doctor Answers 7

Mild hollowness to cheeks in a young person

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From your description it seems that very little volume would be required to correct the hollowness you're developing.  I use restylane, juvederm, perlane and radiesse to augment cheek volume with equal success.  I think it is best for someone your age to stick with these temporary options.  With age your volume requirements to maintain young looking cheeks may eventually increase.  Much more volume augmentation can be achieved with cheek implants or microfat transfer which are more appropriate for patients with poor cheek bone structure, cheek atrophy due to aging, or lipodystrophy.

Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 125 reviews

Hallow Cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

For a young man like yourself, fillers such as Radiesse or Sculptra work well. lipo-sculpting with your own fat will provide a longer-lasting result.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Fillers work well for hollow cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are many types of fillers out there and you wil need to consider softness of the product, cost, longevity and recovery.  Several fillers have been mentioned to you and I would like to recommend another option to you.  I can not tell you which is best until I have talked with you and examined you but all of these are possible.  Another filler to consider is Sculptra, it has a little different character than some of the other fillers that have been recommended.

Discuss with your surgeon which will fit your needs.

Best wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Best for a Small Case of Hollow Cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

My choice Selphyl, than Fat, than Artefill, than Radiesse. Seek in person opinions from local docs in your area.  Best is to do on line research.

Radiesse helps Hollow Cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Radiesse is one of the best fillers for hollow cheeks, but make sure you go to a cosmetic dermatologist or facial cosmetic/plastic surgeon with a lot of experience with fillers.  Volumizing, which is using fillers to reinflate sagging areas of the face such as the cheeks, is an evolving art form and you should make sure you go to the best physician "artist" to have a natural looking result.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 217 reviews

Juvederm is best for hollow cheeks.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


I think you have the best chance of a natural result without lumps with Juvederm.  Also it lasts up to a year and is very forgiving.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for Sunken Cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Depressions in the area you mention are very common in older individuals and, to a lesser degree, in people your age. Radiesse® is an excellent (and my) choice, although some people prefer Sculptra®. Probably a better choice for someone your age is fat, unless you have some type of lipodystrophy as the cause of your depressions. If you are a candidate, fat grafts are natural and permanent (though you may need more than one session to achieve your desired correction since fat grafting depends on keeping the cells alive). Two sessions are still more economic and easier than reinjection every 12-24 months with the off the shelf fillers.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.