Had a Small Amount of the Gland Removed from Behind the Nipple, It Has Left my Right Nipple Sagging Will It Heal Ok? (photo)

My right nipple is sagging it is still swollen surgery was two weeks ago. The right was the puffier of the two and it looks haggard now is this a common post surgery? I had no liposuction and the incisions where made under the nips. after removing the compression garment it was pointing down but even hours later it looks a bit funny? If this normally heals please let me know or if it has to be corrected, let me know. I will consult with my surgeon tomorrow.

Healing & Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery. Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its 

2 weeks post op

2 weeks is too early to draw conclusions about how your body will heal.  Generally, skin retracts and swelling subsides over the course of months.  You will likely see things slowly improve week by week. 

Tim Neavin, MD

Contour of the areola should improve as swelling subsides.

There is a sizable amount of swelling in the areola after the procedure. The appearance should improve as the situation resolves itself.

Healing After Male Chest Contouring

Thank you for your pictures.  You are early in the recovery process.  Your issue should settle out over the next 2 months or so.

Dr. ES

Too early to tell about nipples.

I think your swelling will decrease and you will be happy. Swelling of the nipple can last 2-3 months and will continue to decrease.  Give it some time and go back to your PS if you are unhappy.

Gordon Lewis, MD
Midlothian Plastic Surgeon

Nipple changes after gynecomastia surgery

Early changes in the nipple/areola are expected after this surgery. Swelling can last for months. The surgery typically does not remove excess skin, nor does it reposition the nipple/areola. Your appearance at this very early stage is normal.

Thomas C. Wiener, MD

Sagging nipple after gynecomastia surgery

It is hard to tell from your photograph but it is still very early after your surgery and things will change over time.