How Much Can SM Expanders Be Filled?

I am very small/petite, and my plastic surgeon chose an SM expander. Otherwise she said it would fill on the sides but I want to go D size. Is it possible?

Doctor Answers 4

Breast Reconstruction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am not sure what an SM expander is and I do perform a lot of breast reconstructions. The two main companies that make tissue expanders and what most PLASTIC surgeons use are mentor and allergan. So I am not sure what a SM expander is, may be you can educate some of us. But what I can say is that there is a limit to how big you can go and that limit is based on how much skin you will have after the surgery and how wide your chest wall is.

What I do recommend is that make sure that a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON is involved in your breast reconstruction, generally there is a breast surgeon that works with a plastic surgeon to perform the reconstruction. Be carefull of surgeons that say they are Onco-plastic surgeons, they are not plastic surgeons.

Good luck.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 88 reviews

Expanders and fill

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without knowing the exact size of your expander, it would be hard to sya. Plus an exam is key to figuring out what is best for you.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Tissue Expander Filling

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Assuming you mean a submuscular tissue expander, I think this is possible.  If you are petite and your chest size is 32 or 34, remember that there is a huge difference in a 34D and a 42D.  You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

John Whitt, MD (retired)
Louisville Plastic Surgeon

Expanders for Breast Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You do not give your height and weight, but if you are that small or petite, consider very carefully whether a cup size D is for you. Only an experienced plastic/reconstructive surgeon can evaluate you and let your know if your skin can tolerate that much expansion and just as importantly what the end results may be for your figure. The size of the expander, rate of expansion, profile, placement of the expander, overinflation of expander, etc, are all critcal factors to be evaluated and again only an experienced physician can determine that for you. Be sure that he/she discusses with the the risks that are involved in using expanders and stretching the skin or skin and muscle. Don't rush into this and even consider a second opinion.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.