One of my eyes is closed more than the other, what should I do? (photo)

I have been noticing changes in my eyes. Not the eyesight, but one of my eyes is more closed than the other, can you please help me, do you have any suggestions on what should I do?

One of my eyes is closed more than the other, what should I do?

Thank you for your question. They define the look of the eye and our appearance as well. Eyelids are the first things that reflect when we are tired or sleepy. Therefore the condition of both upper and lower eyelid is important. Blepharoplasty, also known as eyelid surgery can be performed to lower eyelid, upper eyelid or both. Blepharoplasty covers removing the excess skin tissue in the upper eyelid, removing the excess fat tissue and skin tissue in the lower eyelid and repositioning the eyelid line in both areas. The incision can be made via scalpel as well as laser. We perform laser blepharoplasty since it is faster and safer and it yields a faster recovery period. The laser is actually used for the incision for removal of the hooding skin of the upper eyelids. The result is dramatic, evident immediately, and bruising is usually minimal with the laser.

This is bilateral upper eyelid ptosis

The left upper eyelid is worse than the right side but both are droopy and would benefit from upper eyelid ptosis surgery.  See an oculoplastic surgeon for this.

Eyelid asymmetry

Hi greetings from the UK. You've got a mild aponeurotic ptosis on your left upper eyelid. Notice how your left upper lid is slightly lower and you've got more exposure of the eyelid itself due to an elevated skin crease. You'd probably do well with ptosis correction surgery. Best Wishes. David

David Cheung, MBChB, Bsc(Hons), FRCOphth
Birmingham Oculoplastic Surgeon

Based on the photograph provided it is difficult to determine the best treatment for your concern.  However, Botox could help to lift and open the corners of the eyes to give a more homogenous appearance to the lids overall. Undergoing any surgical procedure requires careful attention to detail and consideration for different options.  Consider obtaining several opinions before moving forward with any given procedure.

Trust your face to a board-certified facial plastic surgeon or a board-certified plastic surgeon with very extensive browlift and blepharoplasty experience.

William Numa, MD, FACS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon