Will my Skin Tighten and Lumps and Unevenness Go Away?

Hi. I am 5'9" 145 lbs. I am 8 weeks post op. I had my inner, outer thighs, and knees done. My skin was tight at first and I only had a little sagging skin in mu inner thigh with pockets of fat in the saddle bag area and inner knee. Now 8 weeks post op my legs look worst. My skin is sagging all over and there is unevenness or lumps all over my legs. I went to the doctor and he told me that I needed to give it more time to remodel. Are my legs going to stay like this?

Contour unevenness after lipo

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question! It is rather difficult to fully evaluate your situation without an in-person exam. That being said, small lumps and other contour irregularities are not uncommon after liposuction.  Shortly after surgery, you may see collections of blood (hematomas) or pockets of fat (fat necrosis). Typically, they will resolve in 2-3 weeks along with most bruising. Keep in mind that you may continue to see lumps as a result of swelling. It will take additional 2-3 months to completely subside.  

Although some physicians recommend massaging these lumpy areas, it's effectiveness is not entirely confirmed. I'd suggest that you give it time and let healing process complete naturally. If your swelling persists months after the procedure or you begin to experience increasing discomfort, you should notify your plastic surgeon. 

Remember that an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your situation and guarantee an individualized medical advice. Best of luck! 

Liposuction outcome

Sounds like you had a lot of liposuction done and initially the swelling covered up what is now becoming apparent. You need to massage aggressively to smooth out you lumps as much as possible. The loose skin will need to be reassessed in about three months and you'll need to see if you will need another surgery.

Martin Jugenburg, MD