I Had a Skin Pinch Bleph in March 2010. I Have Had 3 Revisional Attempts That Have Left Me with Pain, Asymmetry and Retraction.

I need help. I am not litigational. I just want pain relief and cosmetic improvement. Is there help out there? I've already spent over $30,000 trying to correct this. I need a compassionate and understanding surgeon.

Doctor Answers 6

Revision Eyelid Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on the description given, I am assuming that some form of lower eyelid Blepharoplasty was performed.  I would be most focused on the pain and retraction at this point, with copious use of ocular lubricants, artificial tears, and frequent follow up with your Ophthalmologist.  Based on the description of your case, it sounds as if an "eyelid reconstruction" is more in order than a simple revision.  Make sure that you see an Oculoplastic Surgeon, Facial Plastic Surgeon, or Plastic Surgeon well versed in eyelid reconstruction.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 103 reviews

Revisional eyelid surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately, your problem is not uncommon. The two main reasons why the eyleid become retracted is due to aggressive surgery with too much skin removal and/or scarring, along with damage to the orbicularis muscle which is supposed to close the eyelids.  It is important you go to someone with good understanding of the eyelid anatomy and experience in revisional eyelid surgery.  You need to seek an oculoplastic surgeon.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

There is an expression from CIA spies working in the Soviet Union...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, and three times is a problem.  Do not let your surgeon do any more revisions.  He or she does not know what they are doing.  Do get an immediate assessment by an oculoplastic surgeon or a cornea specialist.  The pain is generally caused by cornea drying and exposure that results from surgically induced damage to the eyelids.  Repairing or improving these situations require very specialized methods and this generally means traveling to a surgeon who specializes in post-aesthetic surgery reconstruction.  WIthout a personal consultation it is impossible to know precisely what you are going to need.  The firs step is to increase cornea comfort and make sure that the lid compromise is not causing corneal break down which can leads to visual damage.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Pain, asymmetry and retraction after bleph

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

  I am not sure what question you are asking, and not having the ability to review photos, it makes answering difficult.  I think that there are many compassionate and understanding surgeons on this forum.  I do suggest you see an oculofacial plastic surgeon for the problems you are having.  For a directory, check out the ASOPRS website.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 140 reviews

Post bleph

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This is a tough one to answer because you have had 3 operations already and I don't know whenb your last one was but if it is recent I would caution you not to be too fast for a fix.Time is a good healer.It may be that you need time massage and your problems may resove.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 69 reviews

Eyelid Revision Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


From your forum name it sounds like you are using ocular lubricants already to help with the dry eye that it sounds like you are suffering from.  It sounds as if you either had too much skin excised from your lower lids or as if you have scarring in the lower eyelids tethering them down to prevent closure. 

Some procedures that may be useful include:

1) Canthoplasty (tightening of the ouside corner of the eye).

1) A cheek lift to bring up the cheeks and lower lids

2) Excision of scar tissue and placement of a spacer graft in the lower lid to lift it up.

3) Skin grafting to the lower lid(s).

I recommend that you seek a member of ASOPRS (the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery).  Their website has a member directory where you can find a physician near you.  If you haven't already seen an ophthalmologist to evaluate your cornea, that should be your very first step. 

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.