Is Skin Needling, Percutaneous Collagen Induction Effective?

Skin Needling, Percutaneous Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT Roller)

Hi Lola,

I have seen impressive before and after photos of patients treated with the CIT roller, particularily for the troublesome vertical wrinkles of the upper lips.  It can be used for the entire face as well.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not only effective, but cost effective

Properly done it can be surprisingly effective for what appears to be a very simple medical device. While significant and temporary improvement can be achieved with 'cold' microneedling, more effective long term results can be achieved with radiofrequency microneedling or needling combined with dermaceuticals, such as DefenAge. 

Microneedling plus topical applications of DefenAge, hyaluronic acid, or bone-marrow derived growth factor is the 'hot new thing'. 

Diane I. Duncan, MD, FACS
Fort Collins Plastic Surgeon

Skin Needling

For anyone to evaluate a technology or methodology, the study design needs to be fully understood. I could not find any peer review articles on the above topic. A doctor can have their findings published in various periodicals but that would be more anecdotal evidence vs scientific fact.

Just looking at your description, retrospective studies are weak evidence especially when making claims for wrinkle reduction. Patient opinions are nice but there are many objective ways to demonstrate lasting wrinkle reduction that are not left to someones opinion. You mention that the dermis was thicker -- how was this measured and what histological stains were performed that demonstrated neo-collagen formation.

I could go on and on but if the company was interested in providing scientific evidence, they would understand the above. Perhaps, they are already doing some prospective trials.

Time will tell.

Michael Kulick, MD, DDS

Skin Needling Percutaneous Collagen Induction

I have not heard of this before. I assume you are implying stimulation of skin using needles to produce more collage. It does not seem logical. I would stay away from it. The risks can be scarring or color change in the skin.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon