Skin Grafts to Replace Hypetrophic Scars? (photo)

I had a tattoo excision performed on my forearm. The resulting scar turned hypetrophic and turned out to be much worse than I had ever expected or was told to expect. I have had several subsequent laser treatments and steroid injections. The scar looks self inflicted and am embarrassed for it to be seen. Would skin grafting be an option to cut out the scar? I know grafting is not pretty but at least it would look as if it was a burn instead of self inflicted. What would it cost? Thank you.

Doctor Answers 2

Scar revision for a red, inflamed scar on the arms or legs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In my practice, I would begin with a vascular laser to improve the quality and thickness of this scar.  I believe that is likely all that you will need if performed correctly. Correction of the color may require Melarase cream treatment.

Hypertrophic scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Have you tried injections of a cortisone or treatment with a laser such as a fractional ablative laser or a pulsed dye laser? I do not think a graft is a good idea-it would look worse, in my opinion.

Vicki J. Levine, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.