Is it safe to exercise?

I also had a tummy tuck and muscle tightening approx 14 years ago and occasionally get an itch inside my lower tummy. I have read it could be a nerve being irritated but is it safe to do exercise sit ups etc to tighten tummy if I get this itch? I am only asking as a doctor replied to someone saying take particular notice and care?

Exercise After Surgery

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

If you have reached the six week point it should be safe to return to full activity including exercise. If there is anything in the healing process that worries you at all it would be good to visit your surgeon for an examination to make sure that healing is going well and you are safe to exercise. Good luck.

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Exercise?

Thank you for your question. Most patients are cleared to exercise by six weeks following a tummy tuck. Given that you are 14 years out from surgery, you should be safe to exercise. It is best to have an in-person follow up examination with your plastic surgeon regarding any concerns you may have. Good luck in your recovery.

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question. i think it should be completely safe to do any type of exercise after such a long time. No worries.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD