Sitz Bath or Icing? 2 Weeks Post Op and Still Swollen

I had a labiaplasty done on my labia majora 2 weeks ago and my labia minora are still so swollen and EXTREMELY sensitive. I have been out of work since the surgery because I can walk properly or sit down. My question is, my surgeon said to only ice for the first 24-48 hours and then sitz baths 2-3x for 2 weeks. I am finding no relief with the sitz baths, it's actually painful/increases the swelling?! Is there anything else I can do to reduce swelling? I am unable to wear underwear or pants : (

Labiaplasty and swelling

Thank you for your question. Labiaplasty swelling can be very intense, especially if accompanied by bruising or hematoma. The labial tissue can expand quite a bit compared to other areas of the body, and it is not uncommon for one side to swell more than the other. I generally tell my patients that it will be weeks of swelling, with each week getting better than the previous. I ask them to avoid anything that can induce swelling such as strenuous activity or friction on the labia for upto six weeks. I also recommend that they keep the labia fairly lubricated (e.g. vaseline or aquafor) during the initial couple weeks when the swelling is most intense. The end results should be fairly obvious around the six week, and there can be intermittent swelling due to over activity or too much friction for another six weeks.

I would definitely return to your surgeon if you are having discomfort to the point you are missing work.  There may be something else going on than routine swelling such as infection or suture irritation.

Pain from labiaplasty - Los Angeles expert

Residual swelling may last for a few weeks, but pain should gradually subside. I would advise you to consider a follow up examination to determine the cause of your persistent pain and to rule out any dehiscence of the wound. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Swelling down there varies

from person to person but you should at least appreciate some improvement over where you were last week and if so, you're headed in the right direction.  Different techniques also lead to different amounts of swelling so it could be related to what you had.  Regardless, trust your surgeon and keep him/her informed of your issues and let him/her help you through your recovery.  He/She is just as motivated as you are to have a wonderful result!

Curtis Wong, MD

2 Weeks Post Op And Still Swollen

All patients heal at different rates.  At 2 weeks post op you should experience more comfort than you described.  Discuss this issue with your Plastic Surgeon.  He may want to put you on a medication to help reduce swelling.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD