Is sensation coming back normal 3 weeks after breast augmentation?

I'm starting to get the tickling, slight slight burning sensation and is accentuated when I'm cold. When I touch them especially the nipples it's so sensitive. Anything to help this? Warmth? Does this come and go or will remain for a year or longer? To clarify, no pain. Just weird sensation.

Yes, it’s normal to feel changes in sensation.

As your body begins to recover from breast augmentation, you may notice some seemingly odd yet normal sensations, such as a burning, tingling or numbness. Some women have hypersensitivity, like you describe, too. What you are feeling are the effects of your nerves reconnecting with nearby tissue and your tissue and muscles stretching to accommodate your new breast implants. Everything should get back to usual in the next several months once your body has healed and your breast implants have settled into the pocket prepared by your plastic surgeon.

Breast aug

nice question. yes it is very normal for the breast to "wake up" for several weeks after surgery. this will calm down soon. nothing to worry about. best of luck. Dr Whetstone

Breast augmentation

You are still early on in your recovery and throughout your recovery period you may experience different sensations such as tingling, burning or intermittent shooting pain.  These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue stretch to accommodate your implants, and as sensory nerves heal. This should begin to resolve by 4-6 weeks. I would recommend discussing this with your plastic surgeon so they are aware of your concerns.
Sincerely,
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Sensation Changes Post Op

It is very common to have these sensations and hyper-sensitivity of nipples while healing. This will typically resolve within a month or two. Nerves can cause these tingling, burning or vibrating feelings while they heal and numbness can take 6 months or more to resolve. Let your Plastic Surgeon know if you have concerns about sensation or discomfort.

All the best

Is sensation coming back normal 3 weeks after breast augmentation

I often tell my patients that from about week three to about week eight that it is a weirdtime with regards to sensation. Nerves are starting to function normally again after being stretched and bruised following surgery. This can yield a number of different sensations including itching of the nipple, burning, tingling and other lightning bolt type descriptions of sensations. Fortunately, this usually settles down after several weeks. 

Hypersensitivity of the nipple is very common after breast augmentation surgery.  Typically this sensitivity goes away by 6-7 weeks although rarely it can last longer.  Warm compresses may help.  Please bring this to the attention of your plastic surgeon.

Sensations after breast augmentation

During a breast augmentation some of the nerves to the breast and nipple may be cut, stretched or bruised. Cut nerves may never recover and this will leave an area of numbness. Even cut nerves can recover but it takes many months. Stretched or bruised nerves may recover even quite quickly days/weeks. As they recover they start sending signals back to your brain which can feel like tingling, itching, pain, burning etc. It is also common to have hypersensitivity where the feeling is exaggerated. 

Hypersensitivity of the nipple is very common after breast augmentation. The nipple after the augmentation is more 'exposed' so may rub on your bra. This can cause it to erect which turn makes it more vulnerable to rubbing. It may then become sore which is again stimulation so it stays erect and gets rubbed. For some people this can be really quite unpleasant in the early days to weeks after breast augmentation.

It can last anything from a few days to 10-12 weeks. I have seldom seen it continue past 12 weeks although rarely it can. Most typically it is settling down by 4-6 weeks.

There is not specific treatment. Keep the breasts well supported and try and protect the nipples.

As always if you are worried you should consult your plastic surgeon who carried out the surgery or a suitably qualified and experienced surgeon. A question answered over the internet may not apply to your specific circumstances. Individual advice requires that you are examined by the doctor giving the advice.

Best wishes

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon

Burning sensations

Congratulations on your recent surgery ! These sensations you are feeling are all normal and should stop in time. Sometimes it can last for a few months to a year. It is just all the nerve endings regenerating. Best of luck!

Yes, what you are describing is quite normal; temporary periods of hyper or hypersensitivity is very common after breast augmentation surgery. My best suggestion: patience. You will likely find that time will  take care of the sensation changes you are experiencing. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.