Ptosis or just uneven eyelids? (photos)

Growing up I didn't have double eyelids in fact I grew up most of my childhood with monolids. But I started growing them and it was fine until I realized both eyelids weren't equal at all! One is extremely hooded and the other sags in a way that isn't enough to cover my pupils. I am wondering if I ever go for surgery, should I go for ptosis surgery or incisonal double eyelid surgery? And if so would doing the procedure on one eyelid only be valid or do both eyelids have to undergo surgery?

Doctor Answers 3

Uneven eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your left eyelid is droopy relative to the right eyelid (i.e. there is ptosis of the left eyelid).  The asymmetry can be improved with ptosis surgery.  Follow up with a surgeon who specializes in eyelid surgery.  Best wishes!

Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

so with equal brow position and uneven lids, this looks very much like ptosis to me. A full face picture would help to seek out any other asymmetry but I think that is what we are dealing with.

Ptosis can be temporarily treated with aproclonidine eyedrops both for diagnosis and treatment. Otherwise an appointment with an eye surgeon specialist will be your next step.

hope that helps. 

Adam Goodwin

Real ptosis and it is bilateral.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Both eyelids have ptosis.  It is worse on the left side.  You need to find a very good ptosis surgeon who also understands the Asian eyelid.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.