Melasma - I'm 30+, struggling with Melasma on cheeks for many years and married with no kid.

I have never take birth control pill, work all day in office and always use SPF and umbrella whenever going out. I'm now using Obagi clear 3 (fx) for 2 years and it's does lighter than before but still visible. I'm thinking of trying with cosmelan2 with Tri-Luma or is there any alternate recommended treatment? Thank you in advance!

Melasma in Singapore

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Asian skin is prone to hyperpigmentationand pigmentary injury.

Melasma needs long term commitment with skin care and avoidance of skin factors such as sun exposure (Spectrase Sun Block) which has wide UV spectrum and SPF 30+ protection. Accutane sensitizes your skin to injury from sun rays. 

Daily good habits with topicals may well help you chieve your goals with a good skin system ike the Brightening Kit from KareSkin (see link). You may want to start with Melarase and Pigmentation Correction Complex. Scler-X from another vendor is for PIH relief (see link). 

Clear + Brilliant laser can be added once you start your pretreatment with topicals. An Erbium type laser is good for large pore relief. 

Best

H Karamanoukian MD FACS

Melasma treatments include SPF, creams, peels and lasers.

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help.

More information on available treatments in the Web Reference below.  All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia 

Melarase creams work well for melasma

We continue to see very positive results with the Melarase line of creams, including Melarase AM, Melarase PM, Melapads, Replenish, and Elevase creams. Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Question on Melasma

Thank you for your question! It is difficult to recommend treatment options before assessing you + seeing your specific skin condition. My best recommendation would be to schedule an appointment with a board certified facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist's office to be examined and to discuss your goals/ideal outcomes. Often times hormonal fluctuations are not the only cause of melasma, and treatment options can vary depending on the patient. I hope this is helpful to you! Be well,Dr. Todd Hobgood, MDtoddhobgood.com 

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon