I chipped my tooth from the back - do I need to get treated ASAP? (Photo)

Hi- I recently got a chipped tooth on one of my top center teeth on the 5th of November 2016. Due to some circumstances, my dental appointment at the dentist I frequent was booked on the 22nd of December 2016. The thing is, I'm worried of losing this tooth and I noticed a black mark on the damaged side of the tooth which is from behind. Would it be safe for me to wait for that appointment or is it recommended for me to find a different dental clinic?

Repair of front tooth

It is very hard to know how much/what type of treatment may be needed with a chipped front tooth.  Sometimes the treatment needed is purely cosmetic and there is no real risk of decay or infection, or risk of further damage, by waiting 6 weeks as your are doing.  However, there are other situations where waiting such a long time exposes your tooth to further treatment such as root canal and/or crown.  It is always best to have your dentist evaluate this problem promptly (within a few days after the incident); and generally speaking, waiting 6 weeks is not advised.

Steven M. Goldy, DDS

Beverly Hills Dentist

Chipped tooth

Hi, thanks for sending you question. I am sorry to hear about the chipping of the tooth. Generally the sooner you visit the dentist to determine the extend of the issues at hand, the less problems would be in the future. Therefore I recommend to you to visit your dentist sooner to make sure everything is healthy.

Navid Zamani, DMD
Los Angeles Dentist