Would I be a good candidate for laser hair removal? (Photo)

I am blonde with very fair skin. However my underarm hair is dark, a dark brown. Would this work for me? Excuse the unattractive photo.

Laser Hair Removal

You are the right candidate for this treatment. The treatment works well on darker hairs. Before the treatment, you should shave the night before the procedure  Keep the area out of the sun and no fake tanners. Also, avoid tweezing or waxing the hairs during your treatments. Good Luck!

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for Laser Hair Reduction

Laser Hair Reduction can be performed on many different skin types. Laser Hair Reduction treatments are safe, fast, gentle and effective. Being that your hair is pigmented makes you a good candidate for the Diode Duet Laser. The optimal choice of the device and wavelength is governed by the patient’s hair color, hair diameter and skin color.

Barbara Bopp, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Dark hair, fair skin, laser hair removal

Absolutely!  Since the laser targets darker pigment, you are the perfect candidate for laser hair removal, at least in this area.  You will require 4-6 treatments spaced about a month apart, which is standard, but you should expect an excellent result.

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon

Laser hair removal

Thank you for your question bellelewis1. Laser hair removal is a treatment for permanent hair reduction. An ideal candidate is a person with fair skin and dark hair. Those with dark skin and dark hair may also be candidates, but the parameters must be adjusted. The light from the laser targets the pigment in the hair, so it does not work on white, grey, red, or blonde hairs. A series of 6-8 treatments is required. For my patients I perform treatments every 4-6 weeks on the face and every 6-8 weeks elsewhere. After the initial series most people have a maintenance treatment once every year or two. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Candidate for Laser Hair Removal

Thanks for your question!  Based on the information you provided, you would be an excellent candidate for laser hair removal due to the high contrast between your skin color and your hair color.  Laser hair removal takes several treatments, spaced about 4 weeks apart.  Best of luck to you!