Should I do facelift at 45? I am Asian and 40 years old

I haven't done any filler, botox, threadlift, laser, etc . I even rarely do facial or put any skin cream & such (too lazy). I notice that my face starts to look tired most of the time & sag. My mom suggested not to do anything yet & wait until I turn 45 to do a facelift since that "younger patients who have facelifts (<50 years old) have longest lasting results with less noticeable postoperative changes". Do you think this would be a good idea? I have combination and acne prone skin type.

Not at all

This is not the moment for a facelift. You have a beautiful face and with small signs of aging. Try fillers and even a suspension thread, for a better result. 

You have a beautiful young looking face, do not even think about doing facelift surgery.  A facelift or place scars around her ears and created distortion of your natural beauty.  The use of dermal fillers such as Voluma placed in the mid face and cheek region will refresh your face and restore volume.

Faceli

Hi Mandalay1977

Thank you for your question and for providing a picture. Facelifts should not really be given a minimum age as people age differently. Some people can have amazing laxity at 50 years of age whereas other peoples skin may start to sag noticeably in their mid-late thirties. I have pioneered the Concept Facelift where I carry out the procedure under local anaesthetic and the downtime is 1 week. You also will not need any bandages or drains ad the sutures are absorbable. Swelling and bruising is minimal and most people return to their daily activities within a couple of days. We offer Crisalix scanning so you can see an impression of what you could look like even before going through surgery! We also provide SKYPE and FACETIME consultations. I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon before going ahead with anything

Amir Nakhdjevani, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Should you get a facelift?

If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel on the inside, a facelift may be the solution to help you look and feel younger. During your consultation, your doctor will evaluate your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure. Based on this evaluation, he/she will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. Your doctor should make sure you have a full understanding of what results to expect.Always insist on a board certified surgeon!

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Facelift & Age

There's no magic age for a facelift. Especially since everyone ages at her own rate. Personally, I always like to begin with the least invasive approach which would be a combination of Botox and fillers, but it's really going to be up to you. I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area just to be assessed in person and discuss your options. Always best to be armed with knowledge....

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

Plastic surgery is unnecessary surgery.  You do it when something bothers you. With a facelift you would get a refreshed youthful look.  There is no magic age for plastic surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

What Age is Best for a Facelift

A person’s age is best guessed by the appearance of their face. If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel inside, you may be a candidate for a facelift. During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect. If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.

Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. Like the Life-Style™ facelift, this is a modified facelift, individualized for each patient, that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are non-smoking patients 35-60 years old with early changes of the lower face and the neck. But whose skin has elasticity with well defined bone structure. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™.

Facelift at Young Age

If you know at some point in your lifetime you will want a facelift, it's better to do it while you are young because the results truly do last longer AND you enjoy your results sooner.  You have mild laugh lines and marionette lines which can be treated with fillers, however, you are only "renting" the result with fillers and more permanent results can be achieved with a deep plane facelift.

Johnny Mao, MD, FACS
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

You have very early signs of facial aging and in general I would agree that you should wait before undergoing a facelift.   It may be something to revisit at 45 or even later. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), jowls are present and the chin is weak.  These factors combine to create an elongated  rectangularly, shaped face. 

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.  "When" to have a facelift is something that you'd have to answer.  You have the indications as described above and the difference between doing something now and waiting 5 more years is 5 more years of things aging a bit more.

Hope this helps.