Should I do facelift at 45? I am Asian and 40 years old (Photo)

I haven't done any filler, botox, threadlift, laser, etc . I even rarely do facial or put any skin cream & such (too lazy). I notice that my face starts to look tired most of the time & sag. My mom suggested not to do anything yet & wait until I turn 45 to do a facelift since that "younger patients who have facelifts (<50 years old) have longest lasting results with less noticeable postoperative changes". Do you think this would be a good idea? I have combination and acne prone skin type.

What Age is Best for a Facelift

A person’s age is best guessed by the appearance of their face. If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel inside, you may be a candidate for a facelift. During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect. If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.

Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. Like the Life-Style™ facelift, this is a modified facelift, individualized for each patient, that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are non-smoking patients 35-60 years old with early changes of the lower face and the neck. But whose skin has elasticity with well defined bone structure. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™.

Facelift at Young Age

If you know at some point in your lifetime you will want a facelift, it's better to do it while you are young because the results truly do last longer AND you enjoy your results sooner.  You have mild laugh lines and marionette lines which can be treated with fillers, however, you are only "renting" the result with fillers and more permanent results can be achieved with a deep plane facelift.

Johnny Mao, MD, FACS
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

You have very early signs of facial aging and in general I would agree that you should wait before undergoing a facelift.   It may be something to revisit at 45 or even later. 

Should I do facelift at 45? I am Asian and 40 years old

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), jowls are present and the chin is weak.  These factors combine to create an elongated  rectangularly, shaped face. 

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.  "When" to have a facelift is something that you'd have to answer.  You have the indications as described above and the difference between doing something now and waiting 5 more years is 5 more years of things aging a bit more.

Hope this helps.

Facelift at 45

The best thing you can do for your skin at this time is to get on a good skin care routine including a tretinoin or Retin A product.  Routine botox can also help prevent fine lines of motion from occurring. 

There are many people who recommend getting a face lift at a younger age (

Catherine Weng, MD
Denver Otolaryngologist