Are there any ways to correct/remove overdone fat graft on tear trough? (photos)

Hi Doctors, I had fat grated on my tear trough for about seven months now and I feel that it is over done. Instead of correcting my dark circles, it is making them worst. Are there any ways to correct the fat graft or remove them?

Fat graft removal from tear trough

Thank you for your question.  Fat injections near the lower orbital rim and tear trough can be fussy. The good news is that the fat can be removed.  I would consult with an experienced surgeon who is familiar with removal of fat grafts from the lower eyelids and tear trough.  Good luck. 

Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Removal of fat graft at tear trough.

this fat can only be removed with surgery. Micro Liposuction I feel does not work because the fat is surrounded with scar tissue and it often makes matters worse. See a very experienced surgeon who is familiar with removing these fat deposits. 

Correcting overdone fat grafting

This is a difficult issue to fix. Although you could attempt to surgically remove the fat with microliposuction, I think easier solution is to try an injection of steroid to cause some fat atrophy. There is no risk of nerve injury with a steroid as there would be with Kybella.

Dr.Brace

Matthew Brace, MD
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options are available

The best and safest option would be to remove with micro-liposuction, using very small cannulas.  The dark circles can be improved with chemical peels and skin care products that contain hydroquinone and Kojic Acid.

Marisa Lawrence, MD

Under eye fat grafting

Fixing under eye fat grafting that was over done can be particularly tricky.  First and foremost, I strongly suggest you go and see someone who is experienced in fat grafting - as not only will they be comfortable with what happens during the procedure, they will also be comfortable with helping correct any contouring issues that may have been left behind from your procedure.  As far as options, in our practice we often start conservatively, with low dose kenalog/5-FU injections 8-10 weeks apart. We can then move on to microliposuction of the area to help remove residual irregularities.  Other options available, depending on the contouring issues that we see on exam, are a series of radiofrequency treatments, as well as the possibility of off-label deoxycholic injections.  Rest assured, there are many options available to you.  Best of luck.  

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fixing under-eye fat grafting

It can be challenging to reduce grafted fat under the eyes but your surgeon has a few options.  

1. Direct fat removal with surgery

2. Microliposuction

3. Off-label deoxycholate injections (Kybella)

One must be very cautious because there is a risk of hollowing (which could potentially be filled with hyaluronic acid fillers) or irregularity/lumps.

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon