A line of depression across my lower right chest below the areola. I'm almost 4 weeks post op. What are my options? (Photo)

my surgeon said there is no depression deformity. it looks dented because I have swelling in the area above the areola. I understand it takes 3-6 months for the chest to settle down but I'm 100% sure that he removed too much gland tissue. Pls I need some advice whether there is a deformity and also what could be some possible future treatments? if you could pls shine some light on the fat injection procedure and will that be a suitable option in my case? Is fat injection a surgery ? Thank u:)

A line of depression across my lower right chest below the areola. I'm almost 4 weeks post op. What are my options?

Although I understand your concerns, I would agree with your surgeon that time/patience may be your "best friends" here.  Improvement in contour is certainly possible over the course of the next several months.

Fat injection is a surgical procedure and, like any procedure, has potential risks/complications associated with it.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Healing & Recovery After Male Breast Reduction

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Fat grafting to correct is best option

There is certainly a depression visualised in the photographs below your right breast. It is still early days and this will require time to settle.I would wait a minimum of 6months if not an year and reassess the situation. 

Any contour defects can be filled effectively with Fat grafting. This is a dynamic technique in which fat is taken from other areas of the body by small incisions. The fat is then centrifuged to remove the water and oil. Thereafter it is placed into the breast through small incisions.

The fat which is placed will be absorbed in part, but a significant portion will stay long term. It is very useful for correction of post-liposuction deformities which persist or are significant. 

Fat grafting in my practice is a general anaesthetic but recovery from the procedure tends to be speedy. 

Sanjay Azad, MS, FRCSEd
Thunder Bay Plastic Surgeon

Too early

It is too early to do anything.  This will likely improve over time.  If there is a depression, it could be fixed but you will have to wait several months.

Tim Neavin, MD