5 months post op, still swollen and asymmetrical. Is this normal? (Photo)

Today is my 5th month post op rhinoplasty (goretex implant) but still swollen and leaning on the left, is this normal? Should I wait for other few months before deciding for revision?

Post op swelling

Every individual heals at his or her own rate. I always tell my rhinoplasty patients that it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year before you'll see your final results. So no, not uncommon to still be swollen at 5 month post op. If things haven't improved by next month, schedule an appointment with your surgeon to get assessed in person.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

5 month post op

Thank you for your question and picture.  It is not uncommon to have swelling and s\possibly some asymmetries early in the post rhinoplasty recovery phase.  It is usually six months before you will see the end results.  At that time, any concerns should be evaluated with your Facial Plastic Surgeon.  Best of luck.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose implant

Thank you for the question and photos.  Swelling after rhinoplasty can take quite a while to improve and subside.  The placement of a synthetic implant add another variable to the equation in that a thick scar tissue capsule can form.  Naturally, a thin capsule always forms around any synthetic implant in our body but sometimes this capsule can become thick, adding to the volume of the nose.  I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon if you can and make a plan for what to do next.  Perhaps the implant is too big, perhaps there is still some swelling, and like mentioned above, perhaps there is a thickened capsule.

Good luck with the remainder of your nose shaping journey.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD