Can a 20 year old get botox for strong muscles in the "11's"? (Photo)

I have no wrinkles yet I notice I do frown and it looks strong. My mother has a slightly different frown but the lines are evident for her. Will getting botox at a young age break down the muscle? Or would it be a waste of money?

Botox at Age 20

Great question! Yes, you can get Botox at age 20 as a preventative treatment. Even though you don’t see wrinkles yet, getting Botox to the “11’s”, formally known as the glabella, can reduce muscle movement in this area and prevent lines from forming. Based on the picture you provided, you will likely need a very small dose to be effective. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon who can further discuss this procedure. Best of luck with your treatment. 

Botox for frown lines

Thank you for your question anonv1. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associate with facial expressions such as the vertical lines between the brows seen when one frowns. Botox can be used on patients of 18 years of age or older. I frequently treat patients in their twenties. Botox will not break down muscle, it temporarily relaxes muscles. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox for Young Patients

Great question! This is something that I discuss with my younger patients all the time. Botox is a very safe and effective treatment to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles, but can also be used as a preventative treatment before they have a chance to fully develop. When we make certain facial expressions, the repetitive motion creates lines and wrinkles over time. If etched lines are developing then it's ok to use Botox in 20's otherwise probably best to start in your 30's. The idea is that by beginning to get Botox injections early on is to help prevent these repetitave facial expressions from creating wrinkles in places that they would be most likely to develop later on in life. I recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to determine if you are a good candidate to begin Botox injections.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Pre-"11's" Botox prophylaxis

Dear anonv1:

Absolutely! Relax those muscles and train them not to create dermal thinning and "permanent" creases. 

I wish my daughter would heed the advice.

Good luck!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Botox for 20 year old?

Yes, you can get Botox! Usually people in their 20's get what is sometimes called "baby botox" (not quite the full strength). It is not uncommon, especially when I working in the Los Angeles area, to have my patients in the entertainment industry start Botox in their 20's as a prophylactic measure to slow/prevent the onset of lines. In terms of "breaking down the muscle," with time, atrophy/wasting/thinning of the muscles (corrugator and procerus muscles) can occur with repeated doses because you're preventing the use of that muscle by  paralyzing it with Botox. This may mean a lesser tendency to form the vertical lines as time goes on. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Botox – What to expect

Yes, you can be treated.

Thanks for your question. This is a question that we get asked often by our patients.  As far as Botox treatments, muscle hyperactivity would likely require treatment 3 times a year.  Botox effects can last anywhere from 4-6 months and with recurrent treatments, this will lead to mild atrophy of the muscle, and some prolongation of Botox's effects.  Botox effects are never permanent, however, if you elected to stop, your muscle would hypertrophy back to its original size. These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced cosmetic dermatologist consultation for recommendations and treatment options.

Results are expected to start in 2-10 days and peak within 14 days after injection. In some patients, it may take up to 30 days to reach full results. On average, results will last for 4-6 months.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Preventative Botox

The lines you show in your photos are the frown lines or "11s" that Botox treats. If you start with Botox at this point, the idea is that the muscle will not be able to make this repetitive motion and so it will prevent the skin from getting etched in "11s" that are seen at rest in patients who have not had Botox until later in life. In summary, Botox improves dynamic (with muscle motion) wrinkles but ALSO prevents static (at rest without muscle motion) wrinkles. I myself started getting Botox early in life for this preventative effect.

Yes

Yes if the frown lines are bothering you it's perfectly fine to have Botox. You will probably need it 3 to 4 times within the first year and will probably be able to stretch it beyond that in the following year. Good luck.

Adil Sarwar, MD
London Physician

Botox in the Glabella

Botox is a fabulous way to prevent deep wrinkles, especially in the glabella area.  I would recommend you have a small amount in that  area and it is best to continue the injections to prevent a deep line from forming. Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox at 20 years old

If your frown lines bother you then you may be a candidate for botox injections.  Botox may help to prevent deep lines from forming over time.