I'm 13. Do I have gynecomastia or am I just fat? (Photo)

I started growing breast since I was 9.. I was fat back then... now I'm 170 and weigh 62. I've see fatter kids not having breast.

Normal vs Adolescent Gynecomastia

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions.
Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood.
Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Do I have gynecomastia?

Only an exam in person could confirm, but it does appear by your photos that you have a component of gynecomastia.  However, this is not uncommon during adolescence and I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor to discuss this issue so that it can be monitored, and if necessary, treated in a couple of years if it doesn't resolve.  You are clearly not fat.  Your body will continue to change dramatically over the next few years, so hang in there.

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon