Simple Rhinoplasty Question?

Hi, I have a seemingly foolish question about the rhinoplasty procedure that I have never seen directly asked our answered. I want to know if it is possible to raise the tip of the nose or maybe completely reshape it. Is that possible? Of all the before and after pictures I've seen, I've always just seen a dorsal hump removed/lessened or a curve to the bridge added. Is it possible to raise the tip and remove cartilage? Thanks!

Tip rhinoplasty

Yes.  That is possible and one of the more common types of rhinoplasty.  A droopy or boxy tip is often what prompts a desire for rhinoplasty.  Just choose your board-certified plastic surgeon, carefully.  Make sure that rhinoplasty is something that they specialize in.  Good luck.

Is it possible to raise a nasal tip and reshape it?

Tip elevation is certainly commonly done and there are well-established techniques to do this. Similarly, re-shaping can also be done. However, it is all a question of degree - surgery has its limitations and therefore only modifications can be made to the existing anatomy - it is not possibly to 'completely change' a nose.I hope this is helpful.

Bryan Correa, MD

What can I expect from my rhinoplasty surgery?

The surgery is performed using either an open or closed approach. During the open approach, the incision is made across the columella, the strip of skin that separates the two nostrils. A closed approach involves a hidden incision made inside the nose on each side. Both approaches raise the soft tissue covering the nose allowing access to reshape the bone and soft tissue structures of the nose. The nose is reshaped either by adding cartilage or removing and/or remodeling the cartilage or bone. The process involved in re-shaping your nose should be tailored to your specific goals and discussed during your consultation.

Simple rhinoplasty. Question?

Most rhinoplasties consist of three parts. refining (usually lowering the bridge), making the tip cartilages smaller,less bulbous and less boxy. elevating the tip and narrowing the nasal bones by 'in-fracturing' the nasal bones. This is a simplification because every nose is unique and different procedures are done for each individual patient.  Be sure to consult with a Plastic Surgeon experienced in nasal aesthetic surgery who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a Member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). Check out his web site for before and after pictures of rhinoplasty surgery.

Laurence Kirwan, MD, FRCS, FACS
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Tip rhinoplasty

Modifications to the nasal tip can be done during rhinoplasty. 

Refining and reshaping the nasal tip is one of the most common and most important parts of rhinoplasty.
Raising or lowering the tip can be accomplished during surgery.

The overall balance of the nose and the face is always important when making changes to the nose.
Consult a doctor close to you to talk about your goals.

Hope this helps

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Otolaryngologist

A Tip Rhinoplasty is Used to Reshape the Tip of the Nose Including Raising It

A tip rhinoplasty is a rhinoplasty or nose job that is used to reshape the tip or end of the nose. It can tilt the tip up or down, reshape a bulbous tip to a more delicate or refined shape, fill out a pinched tip or reconstruct other abnormalities. A surgeon must be careful to take into consideration the effects that a tip rhinoplasty can have on the overall shape and appearance of the nose. Often more than just working on the tip is required to keep the nose in balance as well as in harmony with the rest of the face.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Simple rhinoplasty question

Yes, it is possible to raise the tip of the nose with a rhinoplasty procedure. It is possible to modify the shape of the  nasal tip by making it less bulbous.  A tip rhinoplasty accomplishes narrowing the tip of the nose with suture techniques and sometimes a conservative cartilage removal as well. All this can be accomplished with a closed rhinoplasty approach as an outpatient surgical procedure

Rotation of the nasal tip

Great question. Yes, most pictures do show a dorsal hump removal as this is usually the one feature of the nose that is most noticeable and improved upon. The nasal tip is another region of the nose that is addressed with a rhinoplasty. Elevating the tip, also known as increasing rotation, can be performed for the right patient. It is always best to get a consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist to get a thorough evaluation including photos and computer imaging. Best of luck. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip Reshaping

Hi Harley.  Never any foolish questions.  Tip reshaping is a very reasonable rhinoplasty objective.  Tip elevation is also a reasonable goal.  This typically involves an open rhinoplasty approach.  The soft tissues are gently elevated, allowing direct access to the alar cartilages that comprise the nasal tip.  This cartilages are then sculpted and sutured.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Anand Shah MD

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty - Tip Reshaping

Yes, it is possible and quite common. During the primary consultation, discuss with your physician your aesthetic goals. The actual method of reshaping the tip of your nose will depend on various factors, including your skin thickness, tip cartilage, and desired look. It is important that you feel comfortable with the plastic surgeon’s suggestions as this can be a permanent procedure. Good luck!

Jennifer Levine, MD