Are these lumps ABOVE my lips? what happened? (photo)

dear doctors, I have been three times to a specialist for lip augmentation. This fourth time something bad happened. I have lumps, not on my lips but above them!has juvederm moved up there? why? it is clearly seen by everyone.people asking me what happened to me. First I thought it is just swelling, but now one month has past.can this be fixed?I have heard that augmentation can cause to build up new collagen and your lips will get naturally fuller with time. Can than this swelling stay forever?

Are these lumps ABOVE my lips? what happened?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If Juvederm was injected, it could be dissolved using an enzyme called Hyaluronidase. This would be the quickest way to dissolve the product, most HA filler last 8-10 months

Fullness above the lips

From your pictures, it does appear that you have some fullness above your lips which may be due to the filler. If it was Juvederm as you mentioned, then it can be resolved with an injection of hyaluronidase or it will simply resolve over time. Juvederm tends to last about six to eight months generally. Massage and warm compresses may also help.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Filler above the lip

Filler above the lip can occur due to facial movements and/or technical issues.  Massage can also cause the filler to migrate to the upper lip.  

Lip filler bumps is fairly common after filler.  The bumps can occur early on and many settle down.  Although massage after filler is considered a mainstay, beware that massage can drive the filler into another location if done too early.  

Reasons for bumps after filler:

• Technique- Filler may have been used too superficially or wrong type of filler
  • Mouth movements- In some patients their movements can promote the accumulation of bumps and an alternative technique can be advocated.

Treating lip filler bumps:

• Observation +/- massage-  Should be done for almost all lip filler bumps for 2 weeks.  For our patients we usually advocated massage after 48-72 hours to let the filler settle into place.
  • Reversal- A reversal agent can be used such as Vitrase to dissolve the filler if there is a large obvious persistent bump
  • Additional filler- An expert filler injector can used improved technique to mask the lip bumps.

The application of lip filler is very technical and should be done by an expert injector.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon