I have Rhinoplasty in 27 days, what happens if you smoke weed before surgery?

I have nose surgery in 27 days and the doctor told me not to smoke 30 days before the surgery. I smoked weed last night because I forgot about the surgery. I am wondering what are the risks or what would happen.

Marijuana and surgery

Marijuana when smoked (as opposed to ingested) exposes you to carbon monoxide.  We are generally more concerned with the effects of nicotine on the tissue healing associated with tobacco, but CO is also not healthy for tissues. I think you will be fine but listen to your doctor--he or she always has your best interest in mind.

Smoking and surgery

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you. I recommend to avoid smoking for at least one month after procedure to avoid unnecessary risks. 
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Smoking and Surgery

30 days is very conservative, I think you're fine. However, you should now consider eating or vaping weed from here on out.  Actual combustion of organic plant matter (the burning of tobacco, marijuana, and even forest fires) produces thousands of compounds, some of which can linger in your body for weeks, like carbon monoxide. This chemical hogs all the hemoglobin in your red blood cells, preventing them from carrying oxygen. You'll do fine. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Smoking Marjuana Before Rhinoplasty

I suggest you consult with the surgeon you've selected to do your rhinoplasty surgery. It is inappropriate to have more than one physician involved in your surgical procedure.

Marijuana prior to surgery

Marijuana smoking can contribute to complications before surgery.  While technically the offending agents should be out of your system by the time of surgery, I would ask your surgeon for their policy.

Brent Moelleken, MD

I have rhinoplasty in 27 days, what happens if you smoke weed before surgery?

Smoking of any products consistently before surgery can lead to complications with cosmetic surgery. Smoking weed one time four weeks before the surgery  should not have any effect. Best to always check with your operative surgeon.

Dear DazedR

Although it is important to share this information with your surgeon, if you do not smoke from now till your surgery, you don't have to be worried. From a surgical standpoint, smoking tobacco causes vasoconstriction in small vessels that can lead to poor blood supply. It can also impact your results by increasing your risks of coughing. Smoking "weed" 27 days before will not impact your rhinoplasty.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Smoking & Surgery

Call your surgeon and tell him or her that you smoked and get their opinion. Smoking can adversely affect your healing which is why surgeons tell you not to smoke for 30 days prior to surgery and for months following surgery.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon