Post op 3 months still swollen especially right side?

My right side is still more swollen almost like a bulge. Doesn't hurt. But you can see it through the spanx that I wear. I massage the area almost everyday. Was wondering if this will ever go away. The left side is totally fine. I also had lipo done at the same time. It is above the incision.

3 months after a tummy tuck

Hi and thank you for your question.You won't see your final results until you are at least 6 months to 1 year out. Did your surgeon tell you to massage the area? Ultimately they  are the best one to answer this question and guide you through this since they are seeing you and have examined you. It's possible you may just be fuller on this side as no one is perfectly symmetric even after going through a cosmetic procedure. At this point, the best thing to do is to give it more time to continue to heal and talk with your surgeon. Best of luck in your continued healing

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Bulge

Thank you for your question. A bulge may represent a few things. These include swelling , seroma, excess fat, or just a normal variant. Most people are asymmetric and if the bulge is normal this would be seen on your pre-op photos. Some swelling may take up to 6 months to completely resolve. If there is excess fat, touch up lipo may be required.

Johnny Shea-Yuan Chung, MD, FACS
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Post operative swelling

In my practice, I note that swelling following liposuction and abdominoplasty can last for six months or even 9 months. This is because the lymphatic channels in you body need to re-establish themselves. Asymmetrical swelling, though, can be a concern. I recommend you speak with your plastic surgeon and have an examination to determine if there is any treatable condition such as a fluid collection which can occur following this procedure.

Anthony J. Wilson, MD
Portsmouth Physician

Swelling or just bigger?

At three months, the final results are starting to show. It is possible that the area you are seeing is just larger than the other side. This can happen. This is something to discuss with your surgeon to make a plan. Give it time to heal completely and then re-evaluate.

Best Regards,
John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon