Gaining weight after liposculpture?

I had liposculpture about 8 months ago. At 5 months post surgery I was down about 18 pounds and looked great! Then all of a sudden I gained back 8 pounds and now I don't look (or feel) much different than before the lipo. I did not do anything different. I don't know why I gained the weight or why my results are diminishing. Help! All that cost and pain for a very short period of satisfaction. I don't know what to do.

Gaining weight after liposculpture?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Weight Gain after Liposculpture

How discouraging! Keeping lost weight off is a challenge. Liposculpture doesn't cause weight gain, but the results can disappear if the pounds come back. If you're having trouble losing the weight (or even maintaining it), you may need help. A good place to start is your primary care doctor. Other things that have helped my own patients are activity monitors such as Fitbit and apps that help you monitor your caloric intake. 

If you're interested in seeing liposuction before-and-after photos, click on the link below.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain after liposculpture

It sound like your results from liposculpture were excellent.  The weight gain you have experienced is not related to the liposuction procedure. I would suggest visiting with your primary doctor. You may benefit from a medically supervised weight reduction program. Hang in there and work to get the results you had after surgery. Best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss and Liposculpture

Liposculpture is not a long term weight loss procedure.  Patients often lose weight initially because of the fat removed.  Weight is based on calories in vs. calories out- that is what gets us to our stable weight.  If the ratio of calories in vs. out stays the same after liposculpture the patient will eventually drift back to their original weight.  Discuss this further with your surgeon or primary care physician on how to get that weight back off and rule out any associated medical condition.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is great for body contouring

Liposuction is designed for body contouring. Most patients tend to loose weight after the procedure as they are thrilled with the results and wish to maintain them.
In some situations, because of diet or medical conditions, patient can gain weight but this is not related to liposuction. I would recommend that you speak with a dietician or your doctor and go over your diet and have a thorough medical evaluation.
I hope that helps

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Weight gain after liposculpture

Weight gain after liposculpture is not uncommon and is almost always related to diet.  Often we underestimate what we eat and how much we eat.  I find that my patients benefit extremely well from nutritional counseling.  In fact I just had a patient recently re-achieve there postoperative weight goals after having a significant weight gain after liposculpture surgery.  It seems like a simple answer, and most of us think we can do it without help, but having an expert in your corner is extremely helpful.  i used the same nutritionalist personally, as I even needed a coach and an expert in this regard.  Alternatively, on occasion, patients have weight issues because of endocrine abnormalities such as low thyroid function.  this can start to happen even in our 30's, therefore, it's always advisable to seek out the expertise of a physician if you are in a category where this might be an issue. 

Evaluate your lifestyle

At the point that you were 18 pounds less than before surgery, you were seeing excellent results.  If you gained weight since then, you need to meticulously evaluate your eating and exercise behaviors.  This is not the result of the surgery but of your lifestyle.

Post liposculpting weight gain

During liposculpture the surgeon normally removes maximum fat possible form the area and exposes muscles. The fat cells removed do not tend to come back and only residual lipocytes left to support skin can fluctuate in size (not numbers) if person gains or looses weight.
However, please remember that liposculpture is not weight reduction procedure its aim is reshaping and weight difference might be very minimal as fat is relatively light.
Your rate of metabolism might change with time if you do not follow life style changes (exercise and calories intake control) and you can accumulate fat around internal organs (visceral). You need to check that with your surgeon and possibly check you hormones and metabolic screening.

Liposuction and Weight Gain

Liposuction should help you continue to lose weight, if you are gaining without any change in diet or exercise you should be evaluated for any internal issues such as hormones.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Weight gain after Liposuction Surgery

A patient that is seeing weight gain a year after liposuction may see this for several different reasons. The only explanation for weight gain after liposuction is poor eating habits and lack of exercise. Liposuction should not be used as an alternative to a healthy lifestyle. For most patients, it should be used as a jump start to a more active and healthy way of life. Patients have a tendency to get a false sense of confidence after liposuction, gradually falling into bad habits and gaining weight over time. After your liposuction has fully healed, it is important to be physically active and exercise often, once your phsician has cleared you to do so.

Patients may also see a small weight gain in the several weeks following liposuction surgery. This does not have to do with bad habits or eating and is completely normal. As the body heals, swelling may occur in the area of the body that had liposuction. Patients who are concerned should call the doctor immediately, however, most swelling is completely normal. Once this period of healing has passed, patients should immediately become physically active, and should have bee eating well during this recovery period. Liposuction does not remove fatty deposits permanently, and fat can easily come back if patients are lax about their habits or lifestyle. Prior to surgery, it is important to put together an adequate plan to help stay on track post-surgery.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon