What's wrong with this nose? You notice how the right side has some kind of depression, but why is that? (Photo)

And how can it be fixed ? I hate my nose cause of that :(

Doctor Answers 4

Cartilage deviation and valve collapse

You have a deformity on the structure of your nose, the good thing is that it can be corrected in a rhinoplasty. You will even breathe better after the procedure. 

Best of luck, 

Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 20 reviews


Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you likely have some mid vault collapse due to either septal deviation or collapse of the upper lateral cartilage.  This can be fixed with spreader grafts.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 131 reviews

Middle vault collapse

It looks like in your photo, that the middle vault looks a bit collapsed. Sometimes a spreader graft on the one side can help. Best to be seen in person.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Nasal Deformity - Dorsal Collapse

Thanks for your post and question. From your front view photo, your nose appears to have a "depression" due to a collapse of the upper lateral cartilage. This region is associated with the internal nasal valve and a collapsed cartilage may restrict nasal airflow on this side of your nose. There are many causes of this condition including, injury to the nose, genetic reasons, deviated nasal septum with related nasal obstruction, previous nasal surgery and others. Fortunately, the upper lateral cartilage can be corrected with the placement of cartilage spreader grafts. Functional correction maybe combined with cosmetic surgery to enhance your overall nasal appearance via rhinoplasty. I recommend seeing a Facial Plastic Surgery specialist for advice on surgical correction. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.