Which type of lift/augmentation reduces the amount of glandular tissue lost or negatively impacted in the breast? (photos)

I have recently lost about 70 lbs from weight loss surgery. (I have lost and gained 20-65 lbs many times in my life.) Obviously, this has taken quite a toll on my poor breasts. I'm 35 and do not have any children, but would like to some day. Ideally, I would like to be able to breastfeed if and when I get pregnant, but I realize that may be difficult even without having surgery. What suggestions do you have for improving the fullness of my breasts? Is fat transfer a good option as well?

Breast Lift

Thank you for your question.  The first question is are you happy with your current size?  If you are happy, then generally a lift is all that is required.  You are very ptotic.  A small implant can be used in conjunction with a lift to add upper pole fullness or add volume, but in your case, the safer procedure would be a breast lift/ small reduction and using the native tissue to auto augment the upper pole.  In cases such as yours a superior, or superiomedial pedicle with a wise pattern would be the best technique for the lift.  Best to make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon.  All the best, 

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Which type of lift/augmentation reduces the amount of glandular tissue lost or negatively impacted in the breast?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Natural breast lift with asymmetric fat transfer to the upper pole of both breasts.

Many years ago answering your question would have been easy; an Augmentation (with implant) and a Mastopexy (breast lift). Today I would recomend a "natural breast lift" with fat transfer to the upper pole. Three issues you raise must be addressed: upper pole emptiness, nipple areola mallposition and lower breast boxyness. So I would suggest filling your upper pole with your own fat, lifting your breasts to raise your nipple areola, and reducing the lower pole (side to side.)
See a board certified plastic surgeon, who operates at a certified facility and has done a ton of natural breast lifts with fat transfer. Do not shy away from asking; how many fat transfers to breasts (in cosmetic surgery patients) did you do last year? Don't settle for vague answers. You have worked hard at your weight loss, now choose your surgeon and surgery carefully. And good luck.

Ayman Hakki, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Lift and implants

If you want more volume, implants will be necessary. You are likely a good candidate for a "T" type closure because of all the loose skin.

Breast augmentation and lift candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.After having analyzed all the information sent to us, i can realize that you have a breast asymmetry, because the left breast is sagging more than the right and the areola is bigger.
In my practice in cases like yours, i perform a "Breast Lift W/ implants - Symmetrization Surgery".Kind regards,Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast lift only

A breast lift and small reduction is what I would think is the best option for you. Very unlikely to interfere with future breast feeding. It is a 2 -3 hour procedure and recovery is not that painful. Please seek a board certified plastic surgeon. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift/Reduction

I would recommend a Wise-Pattern, Supero-medial pedicle breast reduction/lift.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon