Will minor facial nerves repair themselves back to normal after being severed during surgery?

I had a Rhinoplasty done 3 days ago. While operating, the surgeon removed a small mass on the side of my nose which was caused by filler-gone-wrong. Afterwards he told me that to remove the mass, some small nerves had to be cut. Now my upper left lip is asleep (feels like I had a big injection of novocaine) and I look like Elvis when I purse my lips. Will feeling and movement come back? How long will it take? Is there anything I can do to help speed up the healing process? Please help!

Facial nerve injuries

Its helpful to know that the nerves on the face that control sensation, are different from those that control movement. The numbness you feel is quite common after most surgical procedures, so presumably this reflects a temporary effect from the skin being cut and moved. The likelihood of a more significant nerve injury based on your description is really low.

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numb feeling of upper lip

It has been only 3 days.  The vast majority of the time, the feeling will come back.  The time period for this to occur can be in the range of 6m to 1 year on a worst case scenario.  Based on your description, I'm highly optimistic that you should get back to full normalcy.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon