Should I try to lose weight before or after a breast reduction?

Hi am currently at 200 Lbs with a breast size of 36GG. I was wondering if its better to try and lose weight before a breast reduction? Does it make a difference?

Breasts reduction and weight loss

Dear Madam,
  The simple answer to your question is 'yes' , you should lose weight . You did not provide information about your height, but I assume that with weight of 200 pounds , you are above the ideal BMI of 25 or lower. All my overweight patients are recommended to read the best seller book 'sugar busters' which teaches you the physiology  of fat production by the body. Following the recommendation of the book (it is life style change, not a diet) will help you to lose weight. I lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks based on that book. 
 Another way of losing weight is tummy tuck , if you have the right anatomy for it - loose skin and loose abdominal muscles. Many of my patients lost significant amount of weight , because the tightening of the abdominal muscles reduces the amount of food that you can eat and your sense of hunger.
  When you lose the weight, the breasts reduction procedure will give a much nicer result and it might be that you will need only a lift, which is simpler surgery with less complications.
  Always consult with experience board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive.
                                           Dr Widder

Weight loss before and after breast reduction.

The best place to start is by determining a weight that you are convinced that you can maintain before and after your breast reduction surgery. Weight loss does assist in a breast reduction because a stable weight allows for a more stable result. For example, if you get a breast reduction and then lose a lot of weight, you may find that your breasts are less perky. It is best to lose the majority of weight prior to reduction if you can. In addition, optimizing your weight before general anesthesia helps minimize postoperative complications. The next step would be to make an appointment with a Board Certified plastic surgeon. They can make suggestions and guide you through the process. Good Luck!

#plastic surgery #breast reduction #weight loss

Breast reduction and weight

It is always best to get to your goal weight before undergoing a breast reduction.  Your breasts might get smaller with weight loss.

Weight loss before breast reduction??

That is a great question, often asked regarding just about any plastic surgery. I think a lot depends on you as the patient. Not everyones breasts change with weight gain or loss. If you notice  wider fluctuations in breast size with weight shifts, then its best to wait until you are at a staple weight for you. If there is little change, then its probably ok to do surgery at any point as long as there isn't a plan to lose massive amounts of weight. Hope this is helpful.

Michael D. Cohen, MD

I like my patients to be within 15-20 pounds of their realistic weight. If you have the surgery and then loose weight, the changes in the breast are unpredictable and you could even need implants to get back the look you wanted.

Donald W. Kress, MD, FACS
Frederick Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question.  It is necessary for you to lose the weight prior to undergoing the breast reduction procedure.  This will certainly make in difference in the quality of your results.  

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Definitely before

Great question and I'm glad you asked.  You absolutely, 100% need to lose the weight before your surgery.  If you don't, your breasts may change a lot after surgery and often, not for the better.  They become saggy and deflated with the weight loss and that doesn't make anyone happy.  Get down to your goal weight before surgery and you will be much better off and happy with your results!

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.
Although the breast reduction surgery may help you at this point, if you are contemplating the weight loss then it would be in your best interest to have the breast surgery after you have reached your long-term stable weight (If possible). This will improve your chances of achieving your goals and minimize the chances that revisionary breast surgery (to treat “sagging” for example) will be necessary afterwards. You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more.

Weight loss for breast reduction

Thank you for your question. Weight loss towards an ideal weight based on your height and weight will always help towards decreasing surgical complications, having a better result, and better health overall. However, at a size that big, it is likely that your breast size may be interfering with the ability to exercise and lose weight.  I would recommend speaking with a board certified plastic surgeon about what would be best for you. All the best,

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon