I think I have a nose spur on my left side of my nose it feels pointy & it's higher than the right side. Any suggestion? (photo)

I do not have a hump on the right side of my nose

I think I have a nose spur on my left side of my nose it feels pointy & it's higher than the right side.

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Slight bump

The slight bump can likely be shaved down through a closed approach. Best of luck with your results.

Nasal Asymmetry

Nasal asymmetry is very common. A rhinoplasty can be done to decrease this obvious problem whether it is inherited, or secondary to previous trauma or surgery. Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty specialist.

Rhinoplasty for asymmetrical dorsal hump

The dorsal hump can be asymmetrical on some individuals which is usually related to trauma to the nose at a young age. One of the nasal bones continues to overgrow due to trauma. A surgical rhinoplasty can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump and making the bridge line symmetrical. Osteotomies of the nasal bones may be required.

Unfortunately the photos aren't very clear, however, the bump you are seeing is likely a prominant edge of bone or a combination of bone and cartilage. This is often casued by previous trauma but can be genetic as well.

A cosmetic rhinoplasty the surgery of choice to correct these deformities and reposition tissue in the nose for better aesthetics. This can be achieved through a closed or open approach but is typically done in the OR under anesthesia - except in very minimal cases. 

See the link below for more information. 

A detailed examination will help delineate the best treatment. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

I think I have a nose spur on my left side of my nose it feels pointy & it's higher than the right side

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an in person examination (not just an online consultation) and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how technically to do it based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty, which can correct asymmetry of your nasal tip. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD