Hybrid Tummy Tuck - DC metro area

Though I diet/exercise regularly, I have always had a poofy stomach (even after lipo). Yesterday, I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon about getting a hybrid tummy tuck to tighten my muscles. He checked me and said that unfortunately, my protuberance is how my body is built & there's not much he can do to flatten it. He said hybrid tummy tucks are meant for women who have diastatis recti after pregnancy & that even if he tightens my stomach, it will just poof back up. Is this true?

Diastasis versus "pooch"

Great question, and thanks for including photos.  I do feel that a full abdominoplasty (skin resection + muscle tightening--or correction of a diastasis recti) will give you a flatter abdominal contour. It is certainly possible that you have intraabdominal fat as well (that is not addressed with an abdominoplasty) but after 4 children, you likely do have some degree of a diastasis.

New Braunfels Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hi Whitedaisez - While it is true that some women naturally stick out their tummies because of the way they stand, I actually think you're a great candidate for a tummy tuck.  If your abdominal muscles have no laxity (if you've never had children or been significantly heavier) there may not be as much of a diastasis present.  If that is the case, muscle tightening can still be done to give you the result you want.  I do see some abdominal wall laxity as indicated by your widened "outie" belly button as well as the pattern of skin on your abdomen.  The liposuction you had may also have served to remove some fat but leave behind extra skin that adds to the lax appearance.  Either way, with both skin and muscle approaches, you should get a very nice result.  Make sure to find someone board certified and someone you trust and feel comfortable with!
Dr. Jespersen

M. Renee Jespersen, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy tuck

I believe that muscle tightening, though theoretically it could relax again, would likely give you a nice improvement. Some skin removal would be done as well most likely. I would consider getting another opinion. You have lots of qualified board certified plastic surgeons in our area from whom to choose. 

Tummy tuck surgery

Dear Whitedaisez,                                                                                                                                                                 Thanks for submitting your pictures. From observing your pictures, you appear to have skin and muscles laxity from your chest bone to your pubic bone and your belly button is 'outy'. I have been in practice for over 29 years and performed tummy tuck surgeries on over 1000 patients. Based on that experience, I can tell you that your are an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery and you should have a flat stomach at all times (not only when you suck it in)  as long as you follow post operative instruction. The only situation that might prevent a patient like you from getting a flat stomach is if on physical examination, large Fibroids of the uterus are palpated. In that case removal of the Fibroids by a Gynecologist would be recommended to be done before the tummy tuck. Another important factor that has to be taken in consideration is the fact that you had liposuction surgery of the abdomen, which make surgery more tedious and the skin might not stretch as normal skin, due to the skin's stiffness from the liposuction surgery scarring.                                                                                                                       You have to realize that not all results are the same, because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So, do your due diligence carefully and choose your surgeon wisely.                                             Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with flat stomach, low scar and nice belly button. Also check the reviews on 'Realself' for ratings and positive experience reports.                                             Best of luck,                                                                   Dr Widder

Modified and hybrid tummy tucks

I do think you should go ahead and get another opinion or two from other surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  From the pictures alone (which don't tell us everything) it does look like you could have improvement from some form abdominoplasty.  The issue could be that even a really well performed procedure may not get you perfectly flat and that can be related to your build.  I find that women with quite a bit of curvature in the back will tend to always have a similar degree of curvature in the front.  )) vs )| If you can imagine the curves above to represent the curve of the back and the shape of the front, you can see that if the front could stay that flat, then there is not much space in between for stomach, intestine, and all that other really important stuff.  So your happiness may be related to how flat you really want to be.  If you can accept improved some but not perfect, you might be okay.Best of luck.
Dr. P