U.S or D.R?

I wanted to go to the DR to have a BBL , TUMMY TUCK, AND LIPOSUCTION. The price was amazing and I follow the doctor on all of her social media pages. However family and friends are telling me I should get it done in the U.S it's just the pricing is a lot more. Also I lost weight but I'm at a stand still and every doctor I contact said I need to lose more weight I'm 219lbs what should I do?

The D.R. is well known now days for Plastic Surgery in US and Europe

The D.R. is well known now days for Plastic Surgery in US and Europe . Most of the Plastic Surgeos are well trained and has good skill but you have to make sure the doctor you choose is member of the SODOCIPRE, Dominican Society for Plastic Surgery . We receive more than 90 percent of our patient from the USA. The difference on the cost of the procedure is because in the US surgeon has to pay a lot to run a private practice and they have to increase there expenses, not because there is a lack of quality in the service. Another good reason for DR plastic surgeons is that we are well trained on the surgeries you requested, as we are latin we understand the importance of buddy conturing since in country like ours is summer all the time like in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, people likes to expose there body in little clothe. If you choose wisely you will be able to have a good experience, dont go only for the money, try to study the doctor you choose, look up for his background in google, check the Dominica Society Webpage and if you get a really good communication with the doctor team you can schedule your surgery!!! Good luck undecidedly. 

U.S

Thank you for your question. I would suggest you stay in the United States for your procedures. It may be a little more, but you will be able to receive better after care in the months following your surgery. The Dominican Republic does not have the same standards as far as health care goes that the United States does. You are best off staying in the country. Seek a board certified plastic surgeon that has performed at least 100 of these procedures per year.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Newall 

German Newall, MD

US

I think that you are better off staying in the US even if it is a bit more expensive.  Being able to see your surgeon post-op for short and long term follow-up is a good idea.

Surgery abroad & BMI

I would highly recommend that you have your surgery done in the US by a board certified plastic surgeon. This will reduce your chance of complications and health risks. If you go to a doctor in a foreign country such as the Dominican Republic, the quality of care and medical standards are lower. If you develop some type of complication after surgery you may not be able to travel all the way back to be examined by your original plastic surgeon. When it comes down to it, your health is more important than the cost. If cost is an issue, there are financing options that most practices offer such as Care Credit and you can apply easily online and set up monthly payment plans. Without knowing your height, it is difficult to calculate your BMI but if most doctors are recommending that you lose weight, im assuming your BMI is above 30. I recommend that my patients have a BMI of 30 or less to have the best and safest results. If your BMI is higher than that I would recommend getting it down to at least 30 because anything above 30 is considered in the obese range which isn’t optimal for undergoing elective cosmetic surgery and it puts you at a higher risk of delayed healing. I also recommend that my patients remain at their goal weight for at least 6 months before having surgery done for optimal results because weight fluctuation can cause a change in your results. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Optimize your health and stay put

Patients who are fit do best and maintain their results long term.  Complication rates are higher with a higher BMI.  Furthermore,  dramatic BBL results posted online are often of people who are still technically obese.  They may look good in the short term, but unless their lifestyle changes, they will look potentially worse in the future.  

As for DR, ask any prospective doctor what contingency plan they have in place for complications.  Getting in an airplane a week or two after a major surgery like that puts you at risk for a DVT and PE which can be life threatening.  There are many competent docs there obviously, but the paradigm of medical tourism gives me pause.  There are many victories, and money is saved, but there are also sad stories.  Do your due diligence and listen to your gut.  Its your life and your body.   

DR or USA

The answer to the question; who should do my surgery is very clear. The surgeon must be board-certified in plastic surgery, the facility should be certified, and the surgeon must've done a ton of this procedure. One and three may be true anywhere, but two is rarely the case when one travels abroad. 

Ayman Hakki, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Medical tourism

Hello and thank you for your question. This is a question that comes up often and the answers are going to be somewhat repetitive. However again I would caution you against medical tourism. Other than cost there are certain risks that you have to account for whenever having cosmetic surgery. Should you encounter any type of complication ( infection, bleeding, seroma, ischemia, open wound, blood clot, etc )  A surgeon who is 1000+ miles away is not going to be able to help you manage these issues. Having surgery in a country where the electricity only runs for part of the day is highly risky for your safety and well-being. 

Further, it will be difficult for you to obtain post operative care here by a plastic surgeon. Most plastic surgeons would prefer not to take on the risk and liability of someone else's mistakes. Any surgeon who takes on the after care will be in his or her right to charge for such services. These fees will likely erase the cost savings of traveling for surgery. 

A simple Google search will reveal multiple complications and deaths associated with cosmetic surgery done in the Dominican Republic. 

All surgery contains certain risks. Even when done in a state-of-the-art modern facility in this country you still encounter risks. Why would you want to increase those risks?

Even though surgery in this country is going to be more expensive, you will at least have the peace of mind knowing that your board certified plastic surgeon is fully trained and experienced and is a phone call away to help you should the need arise.  There are also multiple financing options to help make this more affordable for you.

Best to you. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

U.S or D.R?

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.

A "BBL" Brazilian butt lift harvest fat from areas ( Liposuction ) with the fat removed from the areas using your own fat it transfer to the buttocks and into the hips.The common donor sites for this procedure is your posterior waist/flanks, lateral thighs, back, waist, and anterior tummy.

The state of Florida board of medicine limits the amount of pure fat remove to 4000cc or 4liters. This is implemented for patient safety. Any higher volume then the patient would require resuscitation at a hospital setting.

When you're looking for a cosmetic procedure you find a surgeon that has been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who is highly experience in Brazilian Butt Lifts.  choose one wisely.  Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. and free Face to face consultation.

Rami Ghurani, MD

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon