Could I have a leak?

I have had silicone implants for 6 years now.. i just went on a vacation from denver to seattle.. i have been feeling a pain and popping feeling in my left breast and now its making a slushing noise when i push on it. It feels like air bubbles moving around aswell.

When symptoms arise

following a gel augmentation, you should either see your surgeon or a surgeon in your town for further evaluation.  I would not expect air bubbles at all but sloshing noises can certainly still occur.

Question of Silicone Leak

Silicone gel failure is almost always a silent event.  That is to say that there are no signs or symptoms of rupture of the outer shell or leakage of the gel outside the shell. As an aside, rupture of the shell may not lead to any gel leaking past the defect.

Go visit your surgeon and he should refer you for either a high definition ultrasound or an MRI.  This will determine if you have had an implant failure. Keep in mind if you do, and the probability is low, that you are safe.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Leak?

Thank you for your question.  Although it is unlikely that you have a leak in your silicone breast implant, I recommend that you be seen in person by your operating surgeon to have the issue addressed.  Given the slight chance your implant has leaked, you would need to have it removed.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Could I have a leak?

Immediately after surgery changes in elevation can definitely increase a vibratory or slushy sensation when touching and moving the implant. At 6 years your symptoms sound more unusual and warrant a visit with your plastic surgeon. It would be extremely helpful to also get an MRI of your breast implants to look for a possible rupture (the F.D.A. recommends every 2-3 years), because this is the best way short of surgery to evaluate the integrity of your implant. An accumulation of fluid around the implant (late seroma or hematoma) also reason for an evaluation. 
If you cannot follow up with your original surgeon try to bring as much information (implant card, operative report, and even photos) to make your appointment as beneficial as possible.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Implant leak?

Thank you for the question. In vast majorly of the time, there are no signs or symptoms of rupture of implants. The gold standard is MRI scan. See your PS first for an evaluation first. 

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Could I have a leak?

Thank you for your question. Best thing is physical exam by your PS for evaluation and appropriate recommendation.

Could I have a leak?

I appreciate your question.

Please follow up with your plastic surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Bubbles in implant

From your description, the most likely scenario is that you're feeling a dent in the implant.Ultrasound evaluation or MRI can more likely see if an implant is broken.  I recommend you go back to your plastic surgeon and be evaluated.  Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Device failure

It's possibly your implant has failed. Seek an exam and ultrasound or the gold standard MRI. Beta of luck.