Do silicone gel implants drop and fluff after they settle? (photo)

I had sientra 425cc textured shaped silicone implants done under the muscle 11 days ago. I am wondering if they are going to drop and fluff or stay the same? I'm hoping when they settle moe they will appear larger....

Do breasts look the same after dropping?

Two things happen and seem paradoxical. As as the swelling goes down there will be some shrinkage but at the same time as the muscle relaxes your breast projection grows. In general the breast shape and size proportionality improves..

Breast implants initially after surgery when placed in a submuscular position often give superior fullness that corrects itself with time, the "fluff and drop" phenomena. In reality the pectoralis major muscle takes a while to adjust its size to accommodate the implant as well as occasional muscle spasm which keeps the implant projection higher than its final resting shape. Additional variables include:laxity of skin, size difference during prior pregnancies, position of implant,size of muscle, and size of implant.
As the muscle relaxes the projection of the implant often increases and the breast shape improves. Massage and use of a superior placed elastic strap can often make this process go faster.

Do silicone gel implants drop and fluff after they settle?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  No one will be able to predict exactly what cup size you will wear or whether the breast will look slightly smaller or slightly larger in the longer term. Variables involved include the presence of swelling currently and the disputed phenomenon called “dropping and fluffing” that occurs after several weeks. In my practice, I have seen this phenomenon occur; the breasts appear larger as the implants "settle". 

It may be helpful to you to know that many patients, shortly after breast augmentation surgery is performed, feel their breasts are “too small” or “too big”, only to be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.

At this point, I would suggest continued patience and continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.  Stay emotionally even keeled during the process of physical and psychological “adaptation” to the new body image that occurs for any patient undergoing body contouring surgery.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.

BBA

Your swelling will improve and this will alter the appearance of your breasts.  Textured shaped implants aren't supposed to change very much.  Your soft tissues will change and stretch over the next few months.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Eleven days post op breast implants. Drop and fluff after they settle?

Thank you for the photos. Only 11 days out, it is very hard to say anything about the final outcome. Breast implants tend to start dropping into place after 3 to 4 weeks. They usually will get to their final position in 6 to 12 months. One will drop faster than the other, also the shape may go through changes. Please follow your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon's post op instructions. For example; we like message, but some surgeons will have you wait, or do it in a specific manner. Please also let them know your thoughts and concerns.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Drop and fluff after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Drop and fluff refers to post-operative period in which the breasts begin to descend and fills out the lower half of the breast. It may take several months for this to happen and can be encouraged with breast massage and compression. It may appear that the breast enlarges as the lower aspect of the breast fills out (at the expense of the upper portion of the breast)

Drop And Fluff

After breast augmentation, the breasts swell from the trauma of surgery and the tissues become edematous. As the swelling subsides and the tissues begin to stretch from the weight of implants, the breasts begin to settle and take on a more natural breast shape. This is the "drop and fluff". Over the next few months, as the edema finally escapes and the soft tissues relax, the final shape becomes evident. This process is often asymmetric as the breasts relax and settle at their own rates.

It will usually take 3 to 6 months to see a final result. Close follow-up with the surgeon is essential.

Change is Coming

Thanks for your question. "Fluffing" is a non-medical term, but I think you may be describing what happens to implants as they settle into their final positions and soften. It's not uncommon for your implants to still feel high, swollen, and firm on your chest at 11 days after surgery. The settling process can take several months, so patience is key! As your implants settle, they may begin to appear larger and take on a more natural-looking shape. If you're unsatisfied with their size after a few months have passed, see your surgeon.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Form stable implants generally stay put.

Form stable a.k.a anatomic shaped a.k.a. gummy bear implants generally stay put over time. The pocket that the surgeon makes for these implants is tighter than the pocket made for round implants and the surface of these implants is textured and sticky.

I would address your concerns with your surgeon.

P.S. You look pretty good to me in your cami and tank top.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Since the shaped implants are less likely to be deformed early on by the pectoral muscle, their appearance after surgery is closer to final outcome than is around implant that is not form stable. . I would not expect a lot of change.

All the best.

Your Silicone Implants Will Drop and Fluff After Breast Augmentation

Your implants will drop and fluff, a process that takes about three or four months. You'll see a gradual redistribution of volume, so that the bottom or your breasts round out for a more natural appearance.