I'm considering the rhinoplasty procedure. Would it be possible to just cut my overhanging thick and flaring alar? (Photos)

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

What can I do to make my nose look better?

There are several things that can be done to decrease the size-bulk, width, flaring of your Asian nose. I meet with my patients on their complimentary consultation and listen to what they would like. Then, I explain the different procedures that could be done to try and achieve that and we make a plan together.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

RHINOPLASTY CANDIDATE

Dear Neya32, It is possible to perform alar-plasty alone however this would not be a good choice for you aesthetically. When you alter one portion of the nose and you do not take into consideration other portions of the nose then the balance will not be ideal. See a specialist in rhinoplasty and have imaging performed to show you the proposed changes rhinoplasty will provide. Review the surgeons before and after photographs to ensure expertise and natural looking rhinoplasty results. See some examples in the link below and in the video above the patient has had rhinoplasty with alar-plasty. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

What can be done to correct alar flaring?

Hi Neya32, Thanks for your question and photos. It certainly is possible but would likely not be ideal unless you are looking for a result that is less ideal. I would recommend being evaluated for a formal rhinoplasty just a small part of it to get the desired look you are going for. A board certified plastic surgeon could easily help with this who preforms several rhinoplasties a year! Good luck!   All the best, Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS #rhinoplasty #alarplasty Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Alar reduction

Thank you for your photos. The simple answer to your question is yes, it is possible to perform an alar reduction alone to reduce the thickness and flaring of your ala. It is important to be evaluated in person by a plastic surgeon so that your entire nose and facial anatomy can be thoroughly examined. To acheive an aesthetically pleasing result, other considerations should be given to the nose besides the ala to make sure there is harmony with the rest of your face. Hope this helps!
Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Would it be possible to just cut my overhanging thick and flaring alar?

The short answer is no. It would be possible to treat the alar alone and get an "ok" result. The tips is much more complicated than you envision. See an experience surgeon who does computer imaging.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Overhanging thick flaring ala

Hello Neya32 - Thank you for your question.  I think that it would be possible to decrease some of the flare of her ala but it must be done very conservatively with a hidden scar.  If too much ala is removed, then your result will not look unnatural and in fact your nostrils will look pinched in which will draw unwanted attention to your nose.  Best of luck to you!

Jacqueline T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

If the appearance of your nose concerns you, it can be improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome. 
Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon(otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. 
Robert Singer, M.D., FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

I'm considering the rhinoplasty procedure. Would it be possible to just cut my overhanging thick and flaring alar?

Hello Neya32 - Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, an isolated maneuver like you suggest may create an imbalance in your nose if specific measures aren't taken. I would suggest that you consult with an ethnic rhinoplasty specialist in your area for an in-person exam, photos, and simulations of what you want to look like. This way your surgeon will have a better idea of what you want to change and if it would even be possible/safe to perform.Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty: overhanging, thick, and flaring ala (nostrils)

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to change the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance.It is possible to address one of the area of the nose such as the ala (nostrils); however it should be rare. It is much better to address the entire nose in relation to the whole face. All features need to be considered to achieve the best outcome. I recommend a consultation with a rhinoplasty expert who will ask about your medical history, examine your nose/face, and take photographs. I like to use 3D simulation computer software to get on the same page as my patient regarding their goals. I can then discuss treatment options appropriate for your nose/face for a safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon