What will happen if i get an explant?

12/14 i had a breast revision done due too a botch job back in TX. 03/16 my new doctor warned me that i could bottom out again, since my pockets where made too big previously. i did bottom out again. and now I'm left with 3 opts. have some sutures added to lift the implants back up; down size or remove them. i went from a AA cup to a DD cup and previously had the chest of a 12 yr old boy.what will happen if i remove them?I'm mentally and physically broke at this point. thanks for your time- Dev

What will happen if i get an explant?

I am sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced;  a series of complications can certainly be mentally, physically, and financially draining… I wonder, given your unfortunate experience over the course of the past two years, whether you will be better off avoiding surgery altogether for now.

At some point,  you will need to make a very personal decision whether  or not to undergo further revisionary breast surgery utilizing implants, and/or use of additional supportive material such as biosynthetic mesh or acellular dermal matrix. Otherwise, breast implant removal surgery along with adjustment of the overlying capsules/tissues will be an option.  Again,  what operation you should undergo will be a very personal decision that only you can make, with the help of a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to guide you.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns) helps. You will find a separate page, on the same website, dedicated to revisionary breast surgery concerns. Best wishes with your decision-making and for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Botoomed out/removal

While downsizing may be appropriate, at least for now, you do have another predictable option to recreate a stable inframammary fold. There are various products available (Strattice, Alloderm, etc) that can be precisely placed to stabilize/recreate the inframammary fold. It is commonly used in breast reconstruction though less so in elective cosmetic surgery because of the cost. Keep in mind that the cost is less than multiple surgeries with other techniques. In my experience, even if you remove the implants and wait to reimplant, you would still need stabilization of the fold.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD