Should I wait until I lose 12 lbs for abdominal liposuction? (photos)

I had an abdominoplasty last fall and in the spring was told I needed liposuction on my upper and lower tummy. I gained 12 lbs from a change in my medication and can't seem to lose it. I was told it's best to be at my goal weight 150 lbs to do the liposuction to get the best results. What woud the results be if I had the liposuction now at 162 lbs? Should I wait until I reach my goal weight. This is so upsetting to see my two tummies after having a tummy tuck and I know I'm being impatient. Thanks.

Liposuction - should I lose weight first?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • A very important question -
  • Actually, I tell my patients to lose 10 pounds after surgery to keep fat from returning.
  • So I would suggest you have liposuction now, and lose the weight afterwards.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question. For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting with or without Tummy Tuck

It appears you have a lot of fat and loose skin which likely needs VASER contouring with a tummy tuck. The more you lose before the procedure to more contouring that can be done.  Best, Dr. Emer.

If you can lose the 12 lbs, great but if you get lipo it will look great either way.

Losing weight is always advised but the outcome from lipo is so great whether you lose weight or not that most patients go ahead and get the lipo to look better right away. Lipo is a great motivator to lose weight.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Should I wait until I lose 12 lbs for abdominal liposuction?

Thank you for your question.Liposuction will improve your contour, but won't lead to any significant weight loss. I do think that the best results are obtained when someone is at their goal weight prior to undergoing body contouring, or liposuction, procedures. This allows your surgeon to look at the contours that you have, and decide which areas need to be reduced to improve your figure.When in doubt, it's always a good idea to touch base with your plastic surgeon. They will you know their specific preferences for liposuction procedures.

You look fine in the photos to get the liposuction now. Understand however the liposuction is of relatively small volume and will have no appreciable effect on your weight, just your contour.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD