I need information on a breast reduction. Any suggestions? (photos)

I used to be a 34a-b since begining menopause I am now a 34DD. I have also gained 15lbs. Now I'm 120,still to small to carry around these enormous breast. They are causing me significant back pain. Can u help? I'm soooo uncomfortable in my own skin! Does insurance cover this procedure?

Breast Reduction

I recommend patients maintain a stable weight for 6-12 months prior to considering breast reduction surgery. Typically, weight gain and weight loss will also effect the size of your breasts. I would also recommend seeing a specialist to test and help regulate your hormones, as menopause has many effects on a woman’s body.  Once your hormones are balanced and you have maintained a stable weight, then  breast reduction surgery may help decrease the back pain you are having.  Breast reduction surgery is covered by some insurance plans, but not all.  The requirements for the insurance companies that do cover reductions will vary. Most require documentation of back, neck, and breast issues over a period of time, as well as trying alternative methods to relieve back pain (such as chiropractic care or physical therapy.)  You should check with your insurance to make sure breast reduction surgery is a covered procedure and then find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area who participates with your insurance carrier.

Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Too small for big breasts

From your photos and description it appears that a breast reduction would be a good procedure for you. The procedure entails removing skin and breast tissue to reduce the size of your breast as well as improve the shape. It's hard to say if your insurance will cover the procedure as everyone's plan is different. An in-person consultation would be helpful to address more questions you may have. Best of luck. 

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo and back pain symptoms, you appear to be a good candidate for a breast reduction.  Check with your insurance plan to determine coverage and prerequisites.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Scarless breast reduction

An ideal scenario for the Liposuction only procedure. You will come down two or 3 cups sizes if you choose doing an outpatient procedure under light sedation plus local anesthesia with minimal downtime in a one hour operation. Of course the biggest thing is no visible scars. It's worth finding a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in this procedure and at least considerate it. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Information on Breast Reduction

Thank you for your picture. In my , you would benefit from a breast reduction. The first course of action would be to go to your primary care physician for evaluation for neck and back pain. At that point, therapy for your neck and back pain maybe instituted. If that therapy is unsuccessful, your primary care physician should refer you to a plastic surgeon for evaluation for breast reduction surgery. The procedure will be submitted to the insurance company for approval and upon approval the procedure can be performed by your plastic surgeon. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Breast reduction

You should check with your insurance company with regards to coverage for your breast reduction,. If they do not cover it, you can always self-pay.

Breast Reduction

Yes, I think that a breast reduction will help you tremendously with your symptoms. I would recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Miami Beach and Beverly Hills Trained Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Great

I think you'd do really well with a reduction, probably with a standard inferior type pedicle approach. It should help you a great deal and relieve most if not all o your symptoms. Best of luck. 

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Reduction

A full anchor scar breast reduction would be a great help to you with reducing the weight upon your back and neck. Also will improve your future with proportionality. Best of luck 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

I need information on a breast reduction. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description and pictures, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.
Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.
Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.
When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.
To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. And about the removal but it was are readily try not to worry to go to care
Once you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, it will be important for you to communicate her goals carefully as well. In my practice, I asked patients to use as many “visual aids”, such as goal photographs, during the communication process. Avoid the use of subjective terms; for example, "C or D cup” and/or “proportionate"… these terms can be confusing, since they may mean different things to different people.  
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.