Which laser would be best to remove this and what is a reasonable price? (Photo)

I got this about 18 months ago, It's 2 1/2 by 2 inches with bright red, yellow and orange coloring and a dark red/purple outline. I've got a few providers in my area, one offers Pico + Nano and a dual pulse duration laser treatment and the other two offer treatments with an Astanza duality laser. My questions are, which laser is most effective for my tattoo? How many sessions should it take? and, what would be the recommended price in my area? Any other information is more than welcome. Thanks!

Tattoo Removal for red and yellow ink

Tattoos that have a mix of colors are less predictable in their response to laser. Red usually responds to 532 nm laser, either Q-switched or picosecond.  Yellow is a difficult color to treat with lasers.  I would probably try 532 nm on the orange and yellow as well.

Regards,

Dr. Ort

Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

See an expert for laser tattoo removal

All laser tattoo removal will take a series of treatment to remove this tattoo. Dr.'s will have their preferences for laser tattoo removal. We use the Medio Star/Tattoo Star Combo. Cost will vary, but you'll want to see an expert for best results. Best, Dr. Emer

​Use the Best Technology for Multi Color Laser Tattoo Removal

Thanks for your question.  We get this same question in our office at least once a day.  You have 2 routes for laser tattoo removal.

Q-Switch or nanosecond lasers came out about 20 years ago. Picosecond laser came out about 3 years age.  If you are choose a Q-Switch laser, you could expect to have 15 to 20 treatments.  The majority of former Q-Switch patients we see have significant hypopigmentation (ghosting) around and under their tattoo.  The Q-Switch lasers have trouble differentiating between the melanin in your skin and ink.  The technology uses heat to burn the pigment out of your skin.  In addition, we have seen patients with raised scars as if they have been branded.  Both of these condition are irreversible.

Picosecond lasers fire 1000 times faster, using a pressure wave rather than heat to shear the ink molecules apart.  After using the PicoSure for almost 2 years, we have only seen pinpoint hypopigmentation in a very small number of patients usually of darker skin tones.  We cannot say it is impossible to get burned with a Picosecond laser, but it is highly unlikely.  The 755 nm works well on almost all ink colors.  For PicoSure, the 532 nm wavelength is an upgrade over the original models and was added specifically for treating some red inks.  We tell every PicoSure tattoo patient to expect at least 6 treatments, but don’t be surprised if it takes 10 to 12.  Patience is the key for our patients.  We typically see our tattoo removal patients every 6 to 8 weeks initially.  If they have more time than money, we encourage them to come every 6 months as the tattoos seem to continue to fade while they wait.

We recommend finding an experienced physician in your area with a picosecond laser with both the 755 & 532 nm wavelengths.  Treatment prices vary by market.  The cost for picosecond treatments will be higher, but you should need less than half the treatments compared to a nanosecond laser.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician