Which would be a good option to remove this tattoo, excision or laser? (photos)

The tattoo is about 2 1/2 by 2 inches with bright colors. How many sessions could I expect for each treatment and how much could they cost?

Laser Tattoo Removal

Pico lasers are the most advanced technology. I utilize the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths including the 532 wavelength making it possible to remove 96% of ink in as little as 4-6 treatments.Tattoos are removed faster and safer with Pico lasers and there is less risk of scarring. I think it is important not only to seek the best technology but an experienced laser tattoo removal provider. I have been practicing laser tattoo removal for almost 20 years.

Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Definetly Laser

In my experience, the Laser would do a better job than the excision, and you will be happy with the result.  In our practice we would use the PicoSure laser, that works safely and efficiently on the colors.

Laser removal is much better than excision for this tattoo.

It appears that his tattoo has black (outline) best treated with 1064nm (nano or picosecond laser), red (best treated with 694nm ruby or 755nm alexandrite),  Yellow (best treated with picosecond 532nm laser.)  A knowledgable physician with the right lasers can do a great job removing this tattoo. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser tattoo removal for Bright colors

It is difficult to predict exactly how many treatments you may requires as reds, oranges, and yellows can be a little more challenging to remove. The best laser may be a pico second laser with a 532 mm wavelength and you could require anywhere from 4 to 6 treatments spaced about 6 weeks apart. It is not possible to guarantee complete removal as there are many variables but newer picosecond lasers provide better results. Costs varies from geographical location and also depends on the experience of the provider and can range from $250 to $500 per session. 
Best of luck

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician