Breast lift with implants in two days and I'm sick! Help!

I am having my surgery on Thursday. Yesterday I woke up with fever, I went to see my primary dr. He thought I had strep so he tested me for strep and mono which both came back negative. He went ahead and gave me a celestone shot and a zpack. My surgeon said it would be ok to continue with the surgery as long as I'm not running fever which I haven't since yesterday after. Any other opinions on this matter... I just don't want to risk something going wrong even though it was possibly just a virus.

Doctor Answers 6

Illness Before Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Kayla1988,

You did not mention how high your fever was, whether any blood work was done or what findings in your throat your surgeon noted. I would require that all symptoms of illness be gone for 48 hours and no temperature over 99.5.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Dallas Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Mastopexy implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If this was a one off episode and you are otherwise fit and well and your preop bloods and swabs are all negative then you could consider surgery presuming you, your surgeon and anaesthetist are happy and you understand that there are additional risks. 

I always think it is best to minimise all risks and if in any doubt you are better to postpone.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 179 reviews

Sick before surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.  I always recommend that my patients be as healthy as possible before any elective surgery, especially when implants are being placed.  That being said, you and your surgeon need to make this decision, ideally after he/she has evaluated you since your illness began.  Hope this helps.  Best wishes!

Plastic Surgery While Sick

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your surgery is elective. I know you're excited, but no need to rush something that is not life-saving. Of course, discuss with your surgeon. If you have a fever and/or elevated white blood cell count, in my practice, I would postpone your surgery until you're back to baseline. I especially would not put a foreign object into your body (breast implants) that could be seeded with bacteria from whatever infection you may have. This could lead to an infection of your implants with dire consequences. Better safe than sorry.

Fever & Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your inquiry. ..Elective cosmetic surgery should be performed with as minimal risk as possible. Therefore, it is best to be healthy before your surgery. If you happen to develop a cough or cold before surgery with fever your procedure may need to postponed. The risks are that your cold can worsen due to the stress of anesthesia and surgery or worse that you could rarely develop an infection at your surgery site.

Your plastic surgeon, internist and/or anesthesia provider can help determine if postponement is necessary. Best of luck!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

Fever and surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your inquiry, it is ultimately your surgeon and your decision to proceed.  I nor my colleagues on the site will not have examined you to evaluate why you have been placed on an antibiotic or given steroids by your primary care doctor. I will simply say, most surgeons will postpone some of their elective surgeries each year because of possible risks when someone may have an active infection.  Please call your surgeon to discuss again today.  Good Luck.  

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.