Breast Augmentation Revision; Gummy Bear/Textured/Internal Support are options instead of lift for some women, correct? (Photos)

Gummy Bear/ Textured / Internal Support are options instead of a lift for some women, correct?

To Lift or Not To Lift?

Good evening! Yes and no- many patients can avoid a lift but your anatomy is such that your nipple position is just too low. In my opinion you will need a lift to get a nice result!

Breast augmentation revision - with lift or not?

Thank you for asking about your breast implant revision.
  • Your photos strongly suggest that you need a breast lift as well as revision of your implant.
  • Gummy bear textured implants and internal support materials take weight off the breast and may prevent drooping but do not correct breast drooping once it occurs.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

For some women, yes, the gummy bear may give a nice natural look and avoid the lift. However, you appear to be sitting low and will probably need a lift, unless you are OK with sitting low and just want to be bigger. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all your options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Revision

Dear Aesmith:   Thank you for posting your photos.   If you have already undergone a breast augmentation and have recurrent or unresolved sagging, you could be a candidate for a revision breast augmentation with an internal bra technique.   If you are experiencing implant malposition (implant migrating laterall) or you are seeking more upper pole cleavage, the internal bra technque (I prefer to use GalaFlex) can be a very powertool to re-engineering your breast.   The internal bra technique provides the need support to your breast that currently you skin/breast tissue can not due to the quality of your tissue.  But based on your photos, it appears you have loose skin, and you will definitely need to a breast lift to tighten up the loose skin as well.   Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon well-versed in revisional breast implant surgery including the internal bra technique for formal consultation to get the best advice.   I hope this is helpful.Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Breast Augmentation Revision; Gummy Bear/Textured/Internal Support are options instead of lift for some women, correct?

Great question, yes and no, if your implants are causing your breast to sag, yes those are all options, or if your implant pocket has given out....but if your Breast tissue and skin has sagged a lift is the best option with those things also.....if needed, good luck and obviously a very difficult question to answer via the internet, seek a experienced BC PS, good luck

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Gummy bear/textured implants and internal support are not alternatives to a breast lift

While I believe that shaped textured implants are useful in certain circumstances, breast implants with or without internal support are not an alternative to a breast lift. If there is loss of breast volume from prior pregnancy or weight loss, than an implant can restore the volume and may have the appearance of a lift; however it is not the shape or texture that makes the specific difference. If the nipple position is low, then a lift moves it up to the right level and adjusts the skin envelope of the breast to the volume. Internal bra procedures can either support the implants or the breast, but again without accounting for the nipple position and amount of skin, they do not replace a lift.

Richard Baxter, MD

It looks like you could benefit from a lift based upon your photos. Best to be seen in person to determine what is appropriate for you.

Do I need a lift or could I switch to a gummy bear implant

Thanks for the question.  I am a strong proponent for using a tear drop nape, gummy bear implant for certain first time or revisionary breast surgery procedures.  The thickness of the implants along with the lack of rippling or folding can help greatly in avoiding  the need to use internal  bra tissue support substances.  These substances may still be needed, but remember that the use of these substances also may produce certain complications.  This should be discussed with your local board certified Plastic Surgeon( through ASPS, by all means).  I also incorporate when needed a limited crescent shaped nipple areolar breast lift.  I have had great success with this.
Good luck to you.
Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Breast Revision with Lift May Restore Volume

The intentional result of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.
In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result.  A Breast Lift can also be done while having existing Breast Implants and can be used to correct #assymetry.
It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with breast #augmentation and the incision type, #implant placement, and implant type. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your breast augmentation. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Lift will be needed

whenever I tell my patients that they lift they are not happy with the answer but the decision for lift or not is based on the breast shape, tissue elasticity, nipple position and the breast size. Your nipple is below inframammary fold and will need lift for good result. Internal lift would not work since your nipple is too low. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon