Can a breast augmentation make my already large areolas larger? (Photo)

As you can see, I have very deflated breasts right now with larger aereolas. My surgery is scheduled for next week but now I find myself panicking that the aereola will stretch to the size it was when I was breastfeeding (second picture). Can anything be done to ensure this doesn't happen outside of an aereola size reduction?

Breast augmentation and areola size

Breast augmentation will make your areolas tauter than they are right now, because you are filling that skin up with an implant. It is possible for them to get larger, but I would not expect them to get as large as they were when you were breast feeding. An areola reduction can be done at the time of surgery or several months later. Waiting to do the reduction is beneficial for a few reasons. 1) The areolas might not stretch enough to be bothersome to the patient. 2) The implant might make the areolas look more proportionate. 3) The incisions will heal much better without having the added tension on them from the augmentation. Please discuss this with your surgeon, so they can guide you on the timing of the areola reduction and/or if it would be needed. Best of luck!

#breastaugmentation #breastlift #areola

Yes, a breast augmentation can increase your areolas because the implant will be stretching out the skin. If you are concerned about an increased areola size, you could consider a breast lift, the type of breast lift needed would have to be determined during an exam so I could take measurements.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

BA and areola size

Thank you for your question. Implants make areola look prominent. But areola can be reduced easily. Please talk to your PS for evaluation.

Can a breast augmentation make my already large areolas large

The possibility of your areolas becoming larger is true with breast augmentations.I will say that it happens more easily when the implant is placed on top of the muscle rather than under the muscle though.

Julio Garcia, MD

Can a breast augmentation make my already large areolas larger?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Though I would not anticipate them to grow to the size of your pregnancy picture you will see your areola stretch with placement of your breast implant.  The extra volume behind the nipple and areola will force it forward, stretching the skin.  Correction would require an areolar reduction, and this can be done either at the time of augmentation or later if you would like to see your initial result.  Hope this helps.

Areolar size

Areolas do stretch somewhat after breast augmentation, but it is unpredictable. Short of areolar reduction I know of no measures to prevent the areolas from stretching. Review carefully with your surgeon.  Best wishes

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Areolae Size with BA

Dear BetterBodyForMommy,

You are correct that increasing the breast volume with an implant is going to increase the areolae as well. Your only option is to do an areolae reduction which is a 360-degree incision around each areola with a permanent suture such as Gore-Tex.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Can Augmentation Make Areolae Larger

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASYMMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the initial surgical fee.

With the incisions that can be made around the areola the shape and/or size of the nipples can change with your procedure. That would be an issue best discussed directly with your surgeon when the type of procedure is determined.

Areola after breast augmentation

Occasionally, breast augmentation can stretch out the skin including the skin of the areolas.   One thing to keep in mind is the size of the implant you were going to be using. Larger and more projected breast implants can stretch out the skin more. You may want to discuss this with your plastic surgeon,. I have a system of evaluating patients for their breast augmentation and size of implant. If you were particularly concerned, then a small areolar reduction or lift can be performed at the time of your augmentation. Good luck!

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon