Could I get insurance to cover my labia reduction? How do I keep it private?

I've read that insurance will occasionally cover labia reduction when it is deemed medically necessary. This problem is visible when I wear a swimsuit, uncomfortable in jeans, painful whenever the labia shift to the elastic in my underwear, and often made me feel suicidal growing up. It keeps me from feeling confident and seeking relationships. Do I have a good shot at getting the procedure covered? I am still on my parents' insurance. Will I need to get my own insurance to keep this private?

Insurance and labia surgery

Cost for labiaplasty
Costs for #CosmeticLabiaplasty and #CosmeticFemaleSugery
#Costs will depend upon the specific surgery that is requested, type of anaesthesia, experience of the surgery, and geographic location.
Estimated fees can be found on Real Self, and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery websites.

You have to check with your carrier to get pre certification. Its unusual to be covered

Insurance coverage

It is rare for labiaplasty to be covered by insurance, however you can speak to a board certified plastic surgeon and your insurance company to determine whether you'll have your surgery covered. Fortunately, labiaplasty is more affordable than other plastic surgery procedures and there are great financing options available. 

Will Insurance Cover Labiaplasty?

Hello and thank you for your question. 
Having your insurance pay for labiaplasty is rare but possible for patients with symptoms such as yours.  It is important that your primary doctor or Ob/Gyn has documented your complaints over time.  
If you are an adult but your insurance is under your parents it might still be possible for them to learn about the procedure.  If you are a minor you will need their consent to do the surgery.
It is also important that you consult with an experienced plastic surgeon who can deliver the results you desire. 
All the best to you.

Ruth Celestin, M.D.

Ruth Celestin, MD

Insurance coverage for labia reduction

has been obtainable on rare, extreme occasions.  If your anatomy is 'outside the box' and simply beyond what most would consider normal, there could be a reasonable chance you could get coverage.  Then you are bound to see someone is a contracted provider instead of whomever you prefer to see.   Preauthorization would mandatory here and don't be surprised if you have to pay a deposit and then get a refund when your insurance comes through (if they do) in the end.  Having documentation from your primary care doctor would help considerably as well.

Curtis Wong, MD

Insurance covering labiaplasty

Some insurance companies may cover labia minor reduction if the patient has discomfort.  However, many will not.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Insurance coverage for labiaplasty

It is extremely rare for health insurance to pay for labiaplasty unless the tissue has a legitimate disease diagnosis and this is well documented by your OB/GYN or primary care doctor.  If you are a legal adult (18+ y.o.) then you can consent for surgery on your own, however, your parents may still receive the "explanation of benefits" if the surgery is put through on their insurance plan.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD