Is my apparent permanent swelling from my orbital floor blowout surgery common or did my surgeon make a mistake?

In 2012 I had a blowout of my orbital floor with symptoms that included Diplopia and according to my surgeon a sinking eyeball. Even years later the orbital bone surrounding my eye, namely my upper cheek always seems to be swollen/protruding. You can physically feel a bump where there was no bump and cosmetically it bothers me to no end. Did my doctor mess up or is this normal? Is there a way to fix this? Thanks.

Blow out fracture

Unfortunately with facial fractures there can be step-offs of the bone that was fractured and prolonged swelling especially if the sinus was involved. You shoals be seen for evaluation in person. you may need a CT.

These are notoriously challenge to fully reduce at the time of initial surgery.

We do try and often the results are spectacular.  However, the fact that you might benefit from additional revisional surgery does not mean that your original surgeon "mess Up."  Unfortunately, your description of what is going on is very incomplete.  To answer your questions, a detailed oculoplastic assessment with orbital imaging will be needed to assess what is going on now and how best to address it.

Orbital Floor Fracture

I would suggest having a full comprehensive examination by an oculoplastic sugeon.  You may also need an MRI or CT scan to fully assess what is going on.  This may be an issue that can be treated but requires an examination.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Protrusion Years After Orbital Surgery

Without a consultation and physical examination, it is impossible to give you sound medical advice. Best wishes!

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon